Calculating Gravitational Potential Energy for a Spoon on a Table

In summary, the equation for gravitational potential energy is PEg=mgh, where m is the mass, g is the free-fall acceleration, and h is the height. In this case, the spoon has a mass of 30.0g and is raised 21.0 cm above the table. To find the gravitational potential energy, the mass must be converted to kilograms, giving a final equation of .03kg x 9.8 m/s^2 x .021m = 6 x 10^-3 J. It is important to use consistent units in order to obtain accurate results.
Kiko:)

Homework Statement

A spoon is raised 21.0 cm above a table. If the spoon and it's contents have a mass of30.0g, what is the gravitational potential energy associated with the spoon at that height relative to the surface of the table?

Homework Equations

I know that the equation for gravitational potential energy is PEg=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the mass is 30.0g and the height is 21.0 cm. But how would you figure out the free-fall acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
By knowing that for most bodies in the proximity of the earth, g (the grav constant)=9.8m/s-s. That is the free fall acceleration.

would you convert the 30.0g to kilograms? since the answer is suppose to be in joules

Kiko:) said:
would you convert the 30.0g to kilograms? since the answer is suppose to be in joules

Yes.

For the potential energy answer, yes you must. Inconsistent units of measurements lead to wrong results.

The importance of specifying units is undercut at times here because of the time involved.

so then the equation would look like this?

.03kg x 9.8 m/s-s x 21.0cm = _________ J

so then the equation would look like this?

.03kg x 9.8 m/s-s x 21.0cm = _________ J

Close. The prevailing system uses Kg-meters-seconds. Joules is based on these. Convert cm to m.

Ah so .03kg x 9.8 m/s-s x .021m = 6 x 10^3 J
is that right?

Ah so .03kg x 9.8 m/s-s x .021m = 6 x 10^3 J
is that right?
pull the handle and see the wheels spin. (my own wish, I assume the right/wrong confirmation is less dramatic).
Yea you're ok

denverdoc said:
pull the handle and see the wheels spin. (my own wish, I assume the right/wrong confirmation is less dramatic).
Yea you're ok

Thankyou so much!

i ment to put 6 x 10^-3 J

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from its current position to a reference point, typically at infinity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above the reference point. The formula is GPE = mgh, where m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and height?

The relationship between gravitational potential energy and height is direct. As an object's height increases, its gravitational potential energy also increases. This means that the higher an object is located in a gravitational field, the more potential energy it possesses.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. When an object is in motion, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Additionally, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy, through mechanical processes.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a diver on a diving board, and water in a reservoir behind a dam. In all of these examples, the objects have potential energy due to their position in a gravitational field and can convert it into kinetic energy when they are in motion.