1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured B Great Magic Triangle Math Puzzle

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This is quite an interesting puzzle. You know it's wrong but you don't know why by inspection:

http://twistedsifter.com/2017/07/profs-use-this-puzzle-to-teach-lesson-about-problem-solving/

Can you figure out an easy way to inspect it?

I spotted one way.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##2/5\neq 3/8##

The original shape is not a triangle.

Edit: You can also rather easily see that the original vertex where the smaller triangles meet is inside the second shape and not on its border. This only works if like here you have access to the grid.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

Yeah that's what I noticed after staring at it for awhile that putting the smaller triangle inside the larger one and using the grid you can see they aren't similar.

It reminds me of the common failure of many trisection angle constructions where you can't prove that three intersecting arcs/lines cross at the same point and consequently the proof fails.

5. Jul 8, 2017 #4

fresh_42

I'm a formula guy. Some basic computations show that both triangles are quadrangles. Or: the long side isn't differentiable on neither figure.

6. Jul 8, 2017 #5

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

Playing around with "equivalent" angles and tangents got me the same ##\frac{2}{5} \neq \frac{3}{8}##

If you take a belt and suspenders approach with proofs -- i.e. have a proof two independent ways of proving / verifying something-- then picture proofs frequently make a nice set of suspenders.

7. Jul 8, 2017 #6
    I recently saw similar "paradox" regarding an infinite chocolate bar... I'm not good with math proof but I could tell the bar was shorter after you remove a piece.

8. Jul 26, 2017 #7
    As a former fence and deck builder, this was apparent by eyeballing down the long sides of each "triangle", where A appears concaved and B appears convexed.

Edit: You don't need the grid for this inspection.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Jul 26, 2017 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw the same thing. Here are the triangles overlaid:
    Magic_triangle.jpg

10. Jul 27, 2017 #9
    I noticed that the hypotenuse "slope" of the second triangle goes a little bit higher, that means it's not a perfect triangle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted