Greatest movie characters ever

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, and Tom Hanks are the actors who played the best movie characters. They are all great actors and their performances are outstanding.
FredGarvin said:
I have liked him as an actor in what I have seen him in. Yes. Including Star Trek. I did see an interview with him on 'The Kumars at No. 42' and he was incredibly well spoken and appeared very genuine. He did some lines from King Lear and it reminded me of just how Shakespear sounds when spoken by someone with talent. I call him one of the good guys.
I like Patrick Stewart. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I like Patrick Stewart. :approve:
Did you see him in the I Claudius series... With hair!

Integral said:
Did you see him in the I Claudius series... With hair!
Hair on him is wrong! That is one extremely handsome bald guy! :!)

Frank Oz, Yoda.
Have you seen the movies?

its not a movie, but a 10 yr TV series shows a lot of emotion...

Alan Alda-M*A*S*H

Movie acting:
Cary Elwes-(anything Mel Brooks but yes of course..) The Princess Bride
Viggo M.(dont want to look up his last name)- Strider/Aragorn in LOTR

Azimuth said:
its not a movie, but a 10 yr TV series shows a lot of emotion...

Alan Alda-M*A*S*H

It was a movie, but Hawkeye was played by Donald Sutherland.

My favorite movie characters, in no particular order.

Samuel Jackson as Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction
Vinnie Jones as Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch
Ben Kingsley as Don Logan in Sexy Beast
Johnny Depp as Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco
Simon Pegg as Shaun in Shaun of the Dead
Robert DeNiro as Jimmy Conway in GoodFellas
Denzel Washington as Alonzo in Training Day
Sir Alec Guiness as Obi Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars Trilogy (the good one)
Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf in the LOTR Trilogy
Lawrence Fishburne as Morpheus in The Matrix Trilogy
Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles in Ray

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

I can't believe all you Brando fans (and he's on of my favorites) are wondering if he'd be funny when he was in several funny roles and did well. The last one I saw was "The Freshman" with Matthew Broderick where he plays a Mafia guy supposedly having dinners featuring endangered species. I thought he was really funny in that. I liked him in "The Countess from Hong Kong" too, tho Sophia Loren was more fun to watch for some strange reason. And what about "Candy"? Not a good movie but Brando had his moments I thought.

Speaking of unfamiliar roles, my all time favorite performance by Pacino (but I'm not a fan of his) was in the true story "Donnie Brasco." I really liked Johnny Depp in that too.

Possibly the actor who played the most memorable characters for me was Henry Fonda. Some of the drama he's done first attracted me to film . . . "The Oxbow Incident," "12 Angry Men," "Failsafe," "My Darling Clementine," "The Grapes of Wrath," "Drums Along the Mohawk,"Midway," "Jezebel," "Fort Apache" . . .

Several people mentioned Morgan Freeman . . . my favorite role of his was in "Glory." That's another film where Matthew Broderick was very good. I liked Broderick as Ferris Bueller and in "War Games" too.

I don't know why I hear a lot about Brando these days.I didn't care about him before his death.I'd accepted him as an excelllent actor but ?I liked another actors more than him.after his death,I read a lot about his life.He seems to have an intersting personality.maybe as his ex-wife said "impossible love".he's been really honest espp.with himself and of course very straightforward.
anyway,I really like Cruise and Kidman in "Eyes Wide Shut".

Astronuc said:
As for comedy, one of my favorites is Peter Sellers, aka Inspector Clouseau, in the Pink Panther movies.

Or how about Rowan Atkinson - Blackadder, Mr. Bean.

Or John Cleese and the other Monty Python crowd.

:blushing: ok, i am starting to see it was not wise of me to critisize comic acting.
the people you mentioned here are indeed true geniuses. I especially like John Cleese in Fawlty Towers...great piece of comic art and yes Brando would not be able to do that...seconded :approve:

Perhaps the most veratile actor is Sir Alec Guinness who has done both comedy and drama.

yeah, didn't he play the first role of Obi Wan Kanobi ?

and he is the guy from Bridge over the River Kwai, isn't it ? I never saw that movie though

As for women, Kathryn Hepburn is perhaps tops.

yes, but you can give me Scarlett Johannson...though ofcourse you cannot compare these two based upon professional career-length.

I must admit, i do not really know any female role that has reached legendary status. I wonder why that is ?

marlon

Les Sleeth said:
I can't believe all you Brando fans (and he's on of my favorites) are wondering if he'd be funny when he was in several funny roles and did well. The last one I saw was "The Freshman" with Matthew Broderick where he plays a Mafia guy supposedly having dinners featuring endangered species. I thought he was really funny in that.

SECONDED

Speaking of unfamiliar roles, my all time favorite performance by Pacino (but I'm not a fan of his) was in the true story "Donnie Brasco." I really liked Johnny Depp in that too.

you know, i am also not a big Pacino fan. He sure has talent but it seems to me he always plays the same role...and he always uses the same acting-assets. Just look at the parts he played in his last three or four movies. His best performance , according to me, is indeed the one part for which he received the academy award : Scent of a Woman.

But many people wonder why Pacino has only won one, well i say that is logic because he sure is not very volatile...De Niro is much more talented then Pacino, in my opinion...Besides i think Pacino can be very hysterical in his type-caracterization...

Les, how do you feel abut the Salieri-role of FM Abraham ? I would love to hear your opinion on that.

regards
marlon

Last edited:
wicked someone mentioned teh movie GLory..man that movie made me cry...and ha it had cary elwes in it too. but yes i'd agree morgan freemans role was excellent..
and ednorton role in AmericanX i think its called
ed norton has also had some pretty goood roles in 25th hour, red dragon,italian job and the score which i liked
chow yun fat in "the killer"

What would Lord of the Rings have been without Christopher Lee's magnificently chilling performance as Saruman?
(As an aside, ROTK:EE is so much better than the cinematic release.)

arildno said:
What would Lord of the Rings have been without Christopher Lee's magnificently chilling performance as Saruman?
yeah, definitely, "a new power is arising"

marlon

marlon said:
I disagree...he'd do a terrific job at it. It would probably be a manifestation of comic acting that we have not yet seen.
He tried it. in "The Freshman," he spoofed his role in the Godfather. Not real memorable. He also did comedy in Guys and Dolls. I thought he was pretty good in that.

He is one of my favorite actors. His performance in The Godfather was excellent.

Has anyone mentioned Benecio Del Toro in Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas?

marlon said:
the people you mentioned here are indeed true geniuses.

Okay, how about Brando as Mr. Bean? :rofl: Now there's one that never occurred to me before!

I'm sticking with the 'best character' bit, regardless of who acted it. Not because Donald Sutherland is a Canuk, I loved the Oddball character in "Kelly's Heroes". Also Wolverine in the X-men (despite Hugh Jackman being a lot taller, younger, and leaner than the comic book version, he absolutely nailed the role).
As for the females, I think that Dorothy in 'The Wizard of Oz', Scarlett O'Hara, Blanche from 'A Streetcar Named Desire', and Virginia Woolfe are all pretty much in the legendary classics category.

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, how about Brando as Mr. Bean? :rofl: Now there's one that never occurred to me before!

yeah man, you are so funny

:uhh:

i am laughing my ass off here

:zzz:

marlon

Danger said:
I'm sticking with the 'best character' bit, regardless of who acted it. Not because Donald Sutherland is a Canuk, I loved the Oddball character in "Kelly's Heroes". Also Wolverine in the X-men (despite Hugh Jackman being a lot taller, younger, and leaner than the comic book version, he absolutely nailed the role).
As for the females, I think that Dorothy in 'The Wizard of Oz', Scarlett O'Hara, Blanche from 'A Streetcar Named Desire', and Virginia Woolfe are all pretty much in the legendary classics category.

i once saw a movie where Sutherland played alongside Sean Connery...I believe it was on the Ronnie-Biggs train robbery or something. I do not recall the name , though

marlon

I want to defend Leslie Nielsen for his great comic performance in Airplane, a well as the original Naked Gun TV series.

At the time, and I was there, Airplane was a revolutionary comedy. No one had taken dead pan humor so far,and Leslie Nielsen did it better in that film than most of the others.

The Naked Gun TV series was canceled because the dead pan humor went completely over the heads of the average TV viewer. Joe Average just couldn't follow the sight-gags going on in the background while Nielsen played it straight in the forground, That was just plain sad.

In the subsequent Naked Gun movies Nielsen deliberately (and perhaps maliciously) dumbed his performance down, and started affecting the scenery-chewing mannerisms and mugging whereby dull-witted people are alerted to the fact what they are watching is a comedy.

Jean Reno-Leon
Ingrid Bergman-Casablanca
Monica Bellucci-Malena(I know she's not a good actress)
*s - PF movie

Those characters are quite "out-of-date",
Movies can be shared via the p2p, if you like you can use filesharing sustems to download good new movies. Ads are noisy stuff in those sharng systems I know, but it is not what you really want to get.

Sharing systems are also good in that it is hard to realize who's who when the number of users increases considerably...

If only the TV show scrubs was counted in this thread...about MOVIE characters... :*(

Emieno said:
Those characters are quite "out-of-date",
Movies can be shared via the p2p, if you like you can use filesharing sustems to download good new movies. Ads are noisy stuff in those sharng systems I know, but it is not what you really want to get.

Sharing systems are also good in that it is hard to realize who's who when the number of users increases considerably...
No need, I record all of thrilling movies via my sky TV. I'll watch them back when I have time.
About movie characters, Sarah Michelle Geiler (spell?) is my favorite actress.

Samanthakrjx said:
, Sarah Michelle Geiler (spell?) is my favorite actress.
Then give me Jennifer Love Hewit in i know what you did last summer, with the blue top, mmm, great acting too o:)

marlon

Samanthakrjx said:
No need, I record all of thrilling movies via my sky TV. I'll watch them back when I have time.
About movie characters, Sarah Michelle Geiler (spell?) is my favorite actress.
Ah.. yes. the original Kendall

How did you guys know so many?

Persefone said:
How did you guys know so many?

we all followed extensive movie-courses while being in college.

marlon

Gene Hackman in... EVERYTHING! But especially The Conversation, The French Connections, The Royal Tenenbaums and... EVERYTHING!

Mustn't forget Dr. Strangelove.

Darth Vader! Didnt think much of anakin though.

Back