Greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums?

In summary: Until Zz pops in and notices that I crackpotedly claimed that superfluid Helium is superconductor.In summary, the most outstanding concept formulated on Physics Forums is the theory of fish slapping.
Loren Booda
Up to the present, what concept formulated here on Physics Forums do you consider the most outstanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
How to nail jello to a tree.

Ivan Seeking said:
How to nail jello to a tree.

How do you nail Jello to a tree?

Cyrus said:

I'm sorry, Cyrus, but I don't think you're ready for that information yet.

.....damn. DENIED.

To quote Stewie Griffin, of Family Guy to one of his minions:

SG: "...and cut me some water!"
M: "Sir, we can't cut water"
SG: "Do I need to do all the thinking?! Freeze the water and then cut it!"

Quite obviously, our major contribution to science is in our research of fish slapping.

Dealing with the Girl's trouble?

Solving the plane on a treadmill fiasco.

Greatest scientific contributions?

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1540622 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Greatest scientific contributions?

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1540622 [Broken]
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
If it's a joke, it's a pretty good one. :rofl:

Oh damn it :( It was suppose to link to all my posts :P

Pengwuino said:
Oh damn it :( It was suppose to link to all my posts :P

You mean like https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=14824 [Broken] ?

humanino said:
You mean like https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=14824 [Broken] ?

That guy doesn't know sh!t from shinola.

russ_watters said:
Quite obviously, our major contribution to science is in our research of fish slapping.

My version of string theory is on a 16-manifold where little invisible fish slap strings that cause them to vibrate in different ways.

Cyrus said:

with a massively parallel nail gun set for limited penetration

In the area of Mathematics, I think PF has been instrumental in settling the 1 = .999... controversy.

Last edited:
While visiting my sister's restaurant one afternoon, one of the employees (carrying a stainless steel bucket) pulled me to the side and inquired how he might capture steam in his bucket? I replied "HUH"...and investigated further.

Apparently, someone had sent him across the street to McDonald's (with the bucket) to request they fill it with steam...to do some cleaning.

I looked around to make sure the joke wasn't on me (it wasn't)...so... I suggested he visit PF to seek assistance.

Did anyone help the young lad?

WhoWee said:
While visiting my sister's restaurant one afternoon, one of the employees (carrying a stainless steel bucket) pulled me to the side and inquired how he might capture steam in his bucket? I replied "HUH"...and investigated further.

Apparently, someone had sent him across the street to McDonald's (with the bucket) to request they fill it with steam...to do some cleaning.

I looked around to make sure the joke wasn't on me (it wasn't)...so... I suggested he visit PF to seek assistance.

Did anyone help the young lad?
I captured the moon in a bucket of water once.

I think it's the discussions about jumping in a falling elevator.

I think it was that wonderful debate on whether a photon has mass.

Hootenanny said:
I think it was that wonderful debate on whether a photon has mass.
Well, photons in a bucket full of liquid helium below the superconducting critical temperature do have a mass. This bucket would very much look like filled with steam. Both statements are still valid in a falling elevator, at least until impact.

humanino said:
Well, photons in a bucket full of liquid helium below the superconducting critical temperature do have a mass. This bucket would very much look like filled with steam. Both statements are still valid in a falling elevator, at least until impact.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:confused:I have the impression,possibly mistaken,that some respondents are giving flippant answers to this important question.It is time to inject a serious note into the proceedings....hemisemidemiquaver.

Perhaps someone else remembers the reference. I recall that PF was cited in a published physics paper.

Ivan Seeking said:
Perhaps someone else remembers the reference. I recall that PF was cited in a published physics paper.
You may be thinking about this: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0404086

I don't know if Alejandro submitted that to a journal.

jimmysnyder said:
In the area of Mathematics, I think PF has been instrumental in settling the 1 = .999... controversy.

Yeah you have to be pretty silly to believe that 1=0.999...

Before anyone takes me seriously, I am joking about.

humanino said:
You are so funny! :rofl:

Evo said:
You are so funny! :rofl:
Until Zz pops in and notices that I crackpotedly claimed that superfluid Helium is superconductor.

1. What is considered the greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums?

The greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums is subjective and varies depending on individual opinions. However, some popular discussions and contributions include theories on quantum physics, discussions on the Higgs boson, and debates on the theory of relativity.

2. Who made the greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums?

There is no single person who can be credited with the greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums as the platform is open for discussions and contributions from various members. However, some notable members who have made significant contributions include Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein, and Richard Feynman.

3. How has the greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums impacted the scientific community?

The greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums has led to significant advancements and breakthroughs in the scientific community. It has provided a platform for scientists to share their ideas, theories, and research, leading to collaborative efforts and new discoveries. It has also allowed for discussions and debates that have challenged and improved existing scientific knowledge.

4. Can anyone make a contribution to the greatest scientific discussion on Physics Forums?

Yes, anyone can make a contribution to the discussions on Physics Forums. The platform is open to scientists, researchers, students, and anyone with an interest in science. However, it is essential to provide credible sources and evidence to support your contribution and engage in respectful and constructive discussions.

5. How can I find the greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums?

The greatest scientific contribution on Physics Forums can be found by browsing through the various discussion threads and topics. You can also use the search function to look for specific discussions or contributions. Additionally, you can follow popular members and their contributions or participate in ongoing discussions to stay updated on the latest scientific advancements.