Green energy, ReRev and other projects

In summary, the author has doubts about the validity of green energy projects and provides a rant about them.
Rx7man
OK, let me start of with the disclaimer that I'm all for green energy.., and that this is a little bit of a rant from a thorn in my side.

So.. with that out of the way, I have to really doubt the validity of a lot of these green energy projects...The one that caught my eye in particular was ReRev, It is a project where they're gathering the energy generated in gyms and feeding it into the grid.

Has anyone ever done the math on the energy expenditure vs return on this project? I mean from start to finish, that is mining and refining the minerals required to build the hardware, Shipping it to China and then back again (probably), and then finally installing it.
Besides the cost which I'm sure is a negative return on investment, I'd suspect that unless you keep your gym full of Lance Armstrongs on steroids you'll never recoup the energy expended in the project.

Along with that come all the appliances, etc that are "energy saving"... What good are energy saving appliance if we just keep amassing more appliances, and specifically more (often) useless gizmos that need batteries?

Closer to home for me since I'm a farmer, is the ludicrous idea of rooftop gardens feeding the new green world... Most of these gardens will grow some lettuce and tomatoes, but none of them will ever provide any form of real nutrition.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be a bit of a novelty at the moment.

Manufacturers vary in the ways they communicate how much energy their people-powered equipment is capable of producing. For example, PlugOut Fitness says typical users will be able to generate between 50 and 150 watts during a single workout - enough to power a cell phone for a week. By contrast, an elliptical machine in regular use at a commercial facility using ReRev technology generates an estimated one kilowatt-hour of electricity every two days; that's the same amount of power it takes to run a laptop for 24 hours or a vacuum cleaner for 45 minutes.

Is ReRev solving any great problem? Absolutely not. But it's starting a discussion."

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/fit...facilities-harness-user-generated-energy.html

Right now they seem to be used to go back into the energy use of the the gym. This is why we require accepted sources when a member makes a claim as you did.

Rx7man said:
OK, let me start of with the disclaimer that I'm all for green energy.., and that this is a little bit of a rant from a thorn in my side.

So.. with that out of the way, I have to really doubt the validity of a lot of these green energy projects...The one that caught my eye in particular was ReRev, It is a project where they're gathering the energy generated in gyms and feeding it into the grid.

Has anyone ever done the math on the energy expenditure vs return on this project? I mean from start to finish, that is mining and refining the minerals required to build the hardware, Shipping it to China and then back again (probably), and then finally installing it.
Besides the cost which I'm sure is a negative return on investment, I'd suspect that unless you keep your gym full of Lance Armstrongs on steroids you'll never recoup the energy expended in the project.

Along with that come all the appliances, etc that are "energy saving"... What good are energy saving appliance if we just keep amassing more appliances, and specifically more (often) useless gizmos that need batteries?

Closer to home for me since I'm a farmer, is the ludicrous idea of rooftop gardens feeding the new green world... Most of these gardens will grow some lettuce and tomatoes, but none of them will ever provide any form of real nutrition.

Thoughts?
Not a bad looking rant.

You omitted to mention in your rant, the yearly "turning off all the lights in the cities" day to save energy, whatever its called and whenever it is.
I forget the details, because, like you, not that I am not green supportive, but instead because it is a typical exercise in what is wrong in the green movement, ranging from who can score the most talking points to just plain stupidity and hypocrisy.

Case in point:
Turn off the lights in your city for a day - yeaah we are green.
Light up your city bridge year round to make it look pretty. Yeeah we are still green because only LED lights are used.

1. What is green energy?

Green energy, also known as renewable energy, refers to energy sources that are naturally replenished and have a lower environmental impact compared to traditional sources such as fossil fuels. These sources include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energy.

2. How does ReRev work?

ReRev, short for "Renewable Revolution," is a project that aims to convert kinetic energy from human movement into usable electricity. It does this by installing floor tiles in high-traffic areas, such as gyms or airports, that generate electricity when stepped on. This energy can then be used to power lights or other devices.

3. What are the benefits of using green energy?

There are several benefits to using green energy, including reducing carbon emissions and air pollution, decreasing our dependence on fossil fuels, and creating jobs in the renewable energy sector. Green energy also has the potential to be more cost-effective in the long run, as it relies on free and abundant resources such as sunlight and wind.

4. Are there any challenges to implementing green energy projects?

Yes, there are some challenges to implementing green energy projects. One of the main challenges is the initial cost of setting up the technology and infrastructure. Additionally, some renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, are intermittent and may not always be available. This requires the development of storage solutions to ensure a steady and reliable energy supply.

5. How can individuals contribute to the development of green energy?

Individuals can support the development of green energy by making small changes in their daily lives, such as using energy-efficient appliances, reducing their energy consumption, and advocating for renewable energy policies. They can also invest in green energy companies or participate in community energy projects. By making these choices, individuals can help drive the transition to a more sustainable and cleaner energy future.