Green liquid that glows when electrocuted in 39 Clues

In summary, the author of The 39 Clues wrote a book where a character finds a vial of green liquid and holds it out into a thunderstorm to be struck by lightning to "charge" it. Once it's struck, it is now glowing, appearing as almost pure light and not even warm to the touch. It's not mentioned again, but I think it's likely a fictional item meant to propel the story forward rather than being a realistic part of the book.
Kalaton
Upon reading a book titled The 39 Clues, one of the main characters finds a vial of green liquid and holds it out into a thunderstorm to be struck by lightning to "charge" it. Once it's struck, it is now glowing, appearing as almost pure light and not even warm to the touch.

I understand this could simply be a work of fiction, but this book series tends to try to keep things as realistic as possible (with a few obvious exceptions), and the author (Rick Riordan) is very skilled and detailed with his writing, so having this random completely made up item seemed to be very out of place, and I've always been curious as to what it was. As far as I can remember it isn't mentioned again.

The whole book was centered around Benjamin franklin, and at the end of the book (the same time we see this vial) the "clue" they are looking for is Iron Solute, but for a few reasons I highly doubt that was the contents of the vial (iron isn't green, and I don't see how it could glow like that just from a jolt of electricity). Just looking to see if something like this actually exists, cause it's something I've pondered ever since I was a kid.

Physics news on Phys.org
To add to what @jedishrfu already wrote - there are compounds that glow green (look for example for fluorescein) and processes that produce a bit similar effects (google for photoluminescence, phosphorescence, luminescence).

Which still doesn't make the liquid in question a real thing :smile:

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Kalaton said:
The 39 Clues
I think there were a few authors in this series, @Kalaton, not just Rick (though he did write the first one), and they were intended for younger readers. That aside, the liquid, 'iron solute' is an anagram for the word 'resolution', which I think was more the point than scientific accuracy.

But potentially, boron might be a candidate for this. Amorphous boron is used to make flares burn green, though I don't know enough chemistry, it might not work so well when electrified?

Melbourne Guy said:
But potentially, boron might be a candidate for this. Amorphous boron is used to make flares burn green, though I don't know enough chemistry, it might not work so well when electrified?

Sorry, not even wrong. It is about as accurate as saying '1 is a good candidate for approximating ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter as it is the second digit in a decimal representation of π'.

Likes BillTre and Bystander
Such a fluid is not impossible, however, within the constraints of energy conservation. Anyone who has had the extraordinary experience of night diving or paddling can attest to the pressure sensitve bioluminescence of some algae (particularly during red tide). How unexpected is that ?

Borek said:
Sorry, not even wrong.
I don't mind being wrong, @Borek, especially in this case when I thought I might be, but the sarcasm is unnecessary. What aspect of my idea doesn't work, just so I know?

hutchphd said:
Such a fluid is not impossible, however, within the constraints of energy conservation. Anyone who has had the extraordinary experience of night diving or paddling can attest to the pressure sensitve bioluminescence of some algae (particularly during red tide). How unexpected is that ?
I heard about this recently on a podcast, @hutchphd, it is unexpected...and visible from space!

Melbourne Guy said:
What aspect of my idea doesn't work, just so I know?
Yes, boron compounds - when excited in flame in high temperatures - do emit green light. No liquid will survive temperatures high enough, and the question clearly states "not even warm to the touch". You are confusing unrelated processes occurring in conditions unrelated to the question, linked only by a single, shared, random property.

Sorry for being caustic but it is about as off, as it can be.

• Informative
Likes Melbourne Guy
Kalaton said:
...the author (Rick Riordan) is very skilled and detailed with his writing, so having this random completely made up item seemed to be very out of place...
I wonder if it's the same guy o0) Based on what I read from him (not much: I've bounced back pretty fast every time - that careless young adult stuff is just not my thing), making up some random impossibrium to move things forward is exactly the thing he would do.

Last edited:
Borek said:
Yes, boron compounds - when excited in flame in high temperatures - do emit green light. No liquid will survive temperatures high enough, and the question clearly states "not even warm to the touch". You are confusing unrelated processes occurring in conditions unrelated to the question, linked only by a single, shared, random property.

Sorry for being caustic but it is about as off, as it can be.
Thanks @Borek, I had a strong inkling that I was headed in the wrong direction because obviously flares burn, they're not electrically activated (that I know of!) but it was the only element I could think of that gave off a green light, so appreciate your articulate correction 👍

Isn't it more likely that the vial is meant to contain Krypton gas - which glows green when excited - and that the only real fictionalization of the author is the "liquid" aspect?

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
...but I wasn't joking... :sorry:

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu

Likes jedishrfu
hutchphd said:

I liked the paint job that changed when splashed with water, @hutchphd, that's unexpected 😃

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and hutchphd
Kalaton said:
holds it out into a thunderstorm to be struck by lightning to "charge" it. Once it's struck, it is now glowing, appearing as almost pure light and not even warm to the touch.
This is a fictional idea, not something real.
There are lots of things that can glow green when in some way activated by chemicals, electricity, of by photons.
None of these can sustained unlimited glowing without energy inputs. The light emitted as a glow will be an energy drain. Once emitted in the photons of the glow, the energy will have to be restored.
Any single zap of energy will eventually be drained and have to be restored for glowing to continue.

1. What causes the green liquid to glow when electrocuted in 39 Clues?

The green liquid in 39 Clues is most likely a type of fluorescent dye that is activated by electrical current. This means that when electricity passes through the liquid, it causes the dye molecules to emit light, resulting in the glowing effect.

2. Is the green liquid safe to handle?

Without knowing the exact composition of the green liquid in 39 Clues, it is difficult to determine its safety. However, in general, fluorescent dyes used in scientific experiments are non-toxic and safe to handle in small amounts. It is always best to use caution and follow proper safety protocols when handling any unknown substances.

3. Can the green liquid be used for any practical purposes?

Fluorescent dyes, including the green liquid in 39 Clues, have many practical applications in scientific research and industries such as forensics, medicine, and environmental monitoring. They can be used to detect and track specific substances, monitor biological processes, and create visual aids for scientific experiments.

4. How does the green liquid's ability to glow relate to the plot of 39 Clues?

The green liquid's glowing ability is likely a plot device used to add an element of mystery and intrigue to the story. It could also be a clue or key to solving a puzzle within the book series, as the 39 Clues is known for its interactive and puzzle-solving elements.

5. Is it possible to recreate the green liquid's glowing effect in real life?

Yes, it is possible to recreate the glowing effect of the green liquid in 39 Clues in real life. As mentioned before, fluorescent dyes can be activated by electricity, and there are many resources and tutorials available online for creating homemade fluorescent liquids using common household items. However, it is important to note that handling and working with electricity can be dangerous, so proper precautions and adult supervision should be taken.