Greg Mankiw on income distribution.

In summary, Greg Mankiw may be misinterpreting the results of a survey that suggests people's income is influenced by their goals and priorities. The survey specifically looked at data from individuals who attended elite schools, but Mankiw is applying it to the general population. While it is important to consider the impact of our goals and preferences on our outcomes, it is also worth acknowledging that external influences may play a role as well.
MaxManus
Hey, is greg mankiw misreading the survey when he writes "In other words, one reason that people differ in their incomes is that some people care more about having a high income than others", the survey takes data from people who took their education on elite schools. I mean he goes from a survey of people from elite schools and makes it apply in general.

Link
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
MaxManus said:
Hey, is greg mankiw misreading the survey when he writes "In other words, one reason that people differ in their incomes is that some people care more about having a high income than others", the survey takes data from people who took their education on elite schools. I mean he goes from a survey of people from elite schools and makes it apply in general.

Link
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/

Does it matter? I mean do we really need a survey to tell us that the priorities we set (assuming the right actions are taken to achieve these goals) make a difference in where we end up. The fact that goals and preferences matter says nothing about the extent our goals influence our outcome and the extent our goals are our influenced externaly. For instance it is much easier psychological to accept smaller goals then accept failure. (See the fable of the fox and the grapes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes )

It matters to me:-)
But thanks for the post I hadn't thought about that the influences could be influenced externaly. And I hadn't read the one about the fox and the grapes.

What is Greg Mankiw's stance on income distribution?

Greg Mankiw believes that income inequality is a natural and necessary consequence of a market-based economy. He argues that individuals should be rewarded for their hard work and skills, and that government intervention in income distribution can lead to unintended consequences.

How does Greg Mankiw define income inequality?

Greg Mankiw defines income inequality as the unequal distribution of income among individuals or households within a society. This can be measured by the Gini coefficient, which ranges from 0 (perfect equality) to 1 (perfect inequality).

What are some potential consequences of income inequality?

According to Greg Mankiw, income inequality can lead to increased incentives for individuals to work harder and innovate, which can benefit the overall economy. However, it can also lead to social and political unrest, as well as unequal access to opportunities and resources.

Does Greg Mankiw believe that government policies should address income inequality?

No, Greg Mankiw argues that government policies aimed at reducing income inequality can have unintended consequences and may not be effective in achieving their intended goals. He believes that market-based solutions, such as education and job training, are better ways to address income inequality.

What is Greg Mankiw's perspective on the minimum wage?

Greg Mankiw believes that the minimum wage is a blunt instrument for addressing income inequality and can lead to negative effects, such as job loss and reduced hours for low-skilled workers. He argues that alternative policies, such as expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit, may be more effective in addressing poverty and income inequality.