1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffith's ED Chapter 4 Clarification (Bound Charges)

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    I'm having an issue with the equation that Griffith uses to derive the field of a polarized object. In Chapter 4, Section 2.1, he starts off with equation 4.8 with the 'script r' to denote the distance between a point outside the distribution P (and the origin) and the dipole (and the origin). He references equation 3.99 to 'derive' this, but equation 3.99 is the field from a dipole and only depends on the distance from the origin to the point P. I don't quite understand how he makes this jump.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
    I think he's using script r to denote distance from the dipole to the point in question because he's no longer dealing with distances far from the dipole where r and script r are basically equivalent.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    Okay that's what I figured, but is it fair just to make that substitution? Like why not use the regular equation for the potential?

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    I mean they're equivalent except for the definition of distance that you use. Technically the one with script r is more correct I think, but for distances far from the dipole you approximate with r.

The equation is an approximation anyway, but there are orders of correctness I guess.

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
    Okay cool, got it. Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted