Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a textbook for a course and the concerns about the level of quantum mechanics knowledge needed to understand it. The speaker recommends having a strong understanding of basic QM concepts before using the textbook, but also acknowledges that the textbook itself presents these concepts. It is suggested to consult with the instructor for further clarification on expectations.
GleasSpty
I was thinking about sitting in a course next quarter that used this textbook, and no prerequisites are listed, so I was wondering what kind of things should I know to get through the text.
The thing I am most worried about is my knowledge of QM. I only know the little QM I have studied independently and what we did in an intro. modern physics course. I will be taking a full blown QM course concurrently with the Particle Physics course, but am unsure if this will be enough.

After flipping through the text for about an hour or so, I haven't found anything he supposes you to know but don't, i.e. everything I didn't understand he appeared to expalin in the text.

I'm still a little worried though: if I only know very little QM, will I be completley lost with this text?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will be little confused, the things you need to know are also presented in his book. But the basic stuffs like wave-functions and states, orbital angular momentum, spin, and addition of angular momentum must be known quite well. Although some things are recapitulated for you in his particle physics book.

So I would not recommend going through a course in particle physics without quantum mechanics, at the level of Griffith's textbook in quantum mechanics.

Griffith's is an amazing book though. I don't think it would be a huge undertaking to tackle most of the book with just a single course taken on QM, as it's so well written; but you would definitely need at least 1 formal course on QM, and it might take you a while longer than average.

Definately worth the effort

assuming this is at a university where you are a student, my advice to you is to ask your instructor. Many instructors use a book only as a guide, but fill in many details in lecture. others do exactly the opposite! so you should talk to him or her and find out what is expected of you.

QM is vital for particle physics (as you might imagine!). but if the course is taught correctly, you might be okay. No one here can answer that for you.

Good luck!

thank's

thank's this book is that what i need for my university

1. What is "Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles"?

"Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles" is a textbook written by David Griffiths that provides an introduction to the field of particle physics. It covers topics such as the Standard Model, quantum mechanics, and particle interactions.

2. Who is the intended audience for this textbook?

This textbook is intended for undergraduate students studying physics or a related field. It is also suitable for anyone interested in learning about particle physics at an introductory level.

3. What topics are covered in "Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics, including the Standard Model, symmetry principles, conservation laws, quantum mechanics, and the fundamental particles and interactions of the universe.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this textbook?

While some prior knowledge of physics and mathematics would be helpful, the textbook is designed to be accessible to students with a basic understanding of calculus and classical mechanics.

5. What makes "Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles" stand out from other textbooks on particle physics?

This textbook is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its use of real-world examples and illustrations to help readers understand complex concepts. It also includes exercises and problems for readers to test their understanding and apply their knowledge.