Relativity, Elementary Particles and Black Holes

In summary, "Relativity, Elementary Particles and Black Holes" is a book co-authored by Thorne and 't Hooft, two renowned physicists. It is currently unavailable for purchase and may be a popular science book. The book has received high praise and may even be a contender for a Nobel Prize in Physics. However, some readers are concerned about the use of the x4 = ict convention in the book's equations. Further information can be found in the arXiv paper referenced.
Physics news on Phys.org
smodak said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521661137/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Any idea what this book is and why it is unavailable? Is it a popular science book? I did not know that Thorne and 't Hooft co-authored a book.
First I have heard of it too, but I must say, it has the right credentials, a Nobel Laureate and possibly the recipient of this year's Physics Nobel.:wink:
Your link simply says out of stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
T'Hooft and his advisor Martinus Veltman were fond of the x4 = ict convention. I hope this book doesn't use it, if equations are present.

dextercioby said:
T'Hooft and his advisor Martinus Veltman were fond of the x4 = ict convention. I hope this book doesn't use it, if equations are present.
You might be interested in this
https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.05572

Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in any inertial frame of reference. It consists of two main theories: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at a constant velocity, and general relativity, which incorporates gravity into the theory.

2. What are elementary particles?

Elementary particles are the smallest building blocks of matter that cannot be broken down into smaller components. They make up all known matter in the universe and include particles like electrons, protons, and neutrons. These particles have specific properties, such as mass and charge, and interact with each other through fundamental forces.

3. What is the difference between matter and antimatter?

Matter and antimatter are essentially the same except for opposite electric charges. When matter and antimatter meet, they annihilate each other and release large amounts of energy. This process is used in particle accelerators to create and study new particles that are not commonly found in nature.

4. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star's core to become extremely dense, creating a gravitational pull so strong that even light cannot escape. The size and properties of a black hole depend on the mass of the star it formed from.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to general relativity, nothing can escape from a black hole, not even light. This is because the gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it bends space and time, making it impossible for anything to escape once it passes the event horizon. However, theories such as Hawking radiation suggest that black holes may emit small amounts of radiation and eventually evaporate over time.