Group generation and normal subgroups

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of <Y> being normal in a group G. The main point of confusion is understanding why <Y> is invariant under conjugation. The individual has provided their own proof using a set of generators and induction, but is unsure if it is correct or if there is a simpler way to prove it.
Bleys
There is a step in some book which is vaguely explained, I just want to check whether my working is correct.
Let G be a group, and let x be in G-{1}. Let Y be the set [itex] \left\{g^{-1}xg : g\in G\right\} [/itex].
I want to show <Y> is normal in G. Now it's clear why Y is invariant under conjugation (Y being itself a conjugacy class, namely of x). The book says that from this it follows <Y> is normal, but I didn't really think it that was clear. Why does it follow that also <Y> is invariant under conjugation?

This is what I've done, but I don't know if it's correct (or if it's even the argument the book is implying):
any y in <Y> is of the form [itex]g^{-1}x^{k}g[/itex] where k is a positive integer, or [itex]gx^{k}g^{-1}[/itex] where k is a negative integer. I'll do k=2;the rest follows by induction.
First case: [itex] g^{-1}g^{-1}x^{2}gg = g^{-1}(g^{-1}xg)(g^{-1}xg)g = g^{-1}(g^{-1}xg)gg^{-1}(g^{-1}xg)gg [/itex]Since Y is invariant under conjugation, this is a product of two elements in Y hence in <Y>.
Second case: [itex]g^{-1}gx^{-2}g^{-1}g = x^{-2}[/itex], which is clearly in <Y> since x is in Y.
Then for any y in <Y>, [itex]g^{-1}yg[/itex] is in <Y>.
Is this correct? Is there a simpler way to do it?

EDIT: I don't know why the code is not showing for the First case...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's because [tex]g^{-1}(ab)g=(g^{-1}ag)(g^{-1}bg)[/tex], i.e. conjugation distributes over products, so you only need to verify invariance under conjugation for a set of generators.

oh ok; thanks Tinyboss!

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element. The elements in a group must satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How are groups generated?

Groups can be generated by starting with a set of elements and a binary operation, and then applying the operation repeatedly to the elements to create new elements. Alternatively, groups can also be generated by defining a set of generators and using them to create all possible combinations of elements through the group operation.

3. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the group. In other words, if a subgroup is normal, then conjugating any element of the subgroup by any element of the group will result in an element that is still in the subgroup.

4. How do you determine if a subgroup is normal?

To determine if a subgroup is normal, you can use the subgroup criterion, which states that a subgroup H of a group G is normal if and only if for every element g in G, the conjugate of g by any element in H is also in H. Another way to determine normality is by checking if the subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism.

5. What is the significance of normal subgroups?

Normal subgroups are important in group theory because they allow for the formation of quotient groups, which are groups formed by "dividing out" a normal subgroup from a larger group. This allows for the study of group structure and properties in a more manageable and simplified way. Normal subgroups also play a crucial role in the study of group homomorphisms and the classification of finite groups.