Group: most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3.

In summary, the conversation is about a homework exercise involving symmetry group S3 and the direct product of 2D irreps. The task is to write the most general scalar potential using only two S3 doublets, \psi and \chi, up to power four. The conversation also includes a request for recommendations for a reference book that explains Young diagrams and a correction to a previous post.
salparadise
Group Theory: Most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3.

I'm taking a course on group theory in physics, but the teacher is really bad at making the bridge between the maths and the physics.

As homework I have to do the exercise below. I think I know how to do it but I'm also posting it to see if someone could please recommend a good reference book where this kind of questions are treated. A reference that clearly explains Young diagrams (not just Young tableau) is also something I can't find. I've consulted the following books: Georgi.H and Cornwell.

Homework Statement

Symmetry group S3. Taking into account the direct product of the 2D irreps as follows:
[tex]\psi_{i}\otimes\psi^{}_{j} = \Psi_{1}+\Psi_{1}+\Psi_{2}[/tex]
where:
[tex]\Psi_{1} = \psi_1\psi^{'}_1 + \psi_2\psi^{'}_2\\[/tex]

[tex]\Psi_{1'} = \psi_1\psi^{'}_2 + \psi_2\psi^{'}_1\\[/tex]

[tex]\Psi_{2} = (\psi_1\psi^{'}_2 + \psi_2\psi^{'}_1 , \psi_1\psi^{'}_1 - \psi_2\psi^{'}_2 )^T\\[/tex]

Write the most general scalar potential up to power four, made exclusivly with
two S3 doublets, namely [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]\chi[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing that the product of the 2D irreps of S3 is 2⊗2=1+1'+2, and knowing that a scalar invariant potential can only be formed by spaces of trivial representation. We only need to form all possible products of [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]\chi[/tex] up to power 4 and at the end only take the resulting 1 irrep (trivial one) terms.

Thanks in advance

PS - If this should be in another forum section, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I noticed there's an error on my post. on the 1' irrep as direct product of the 2D irreps there should be minus sign.

Anybody can help with this question?

Thanks

Hello,

Anybody could please help?

Thanks

What is the significance of the "Group: most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3"?

The "Group: most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3" refers to a mathematical concept in group theory that describes the possible interactions and symmetries of a system with two doublet irreps under the group S3. This is important in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems, such as subatomic particles, that exhibit these symmetries.

What is a scalar potential?

A scalar potential is a mathematical term used in physics to describe a potential energy function that is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. It is used to describe the potential energy of a system at various points in space.

What is a doublet irrep?

A doublet irrep, or doublet irreducible representation, is a mathematical term used in group theory to describe the properties and symmetries of a system with two components that transform in a specific way under a particular group. In the context of S3, it describes the symmetries of a system with two components that transform according to the group S3.

What is the group S3?

The group S3, also known as the symmetric group of degree 3, is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of a system with three distinct objects. It is often used in physics to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as subatomic particles, that exhibit these types of symmetries.

What is the most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3?

The most general scalar potential out of 2 doublet irreps of S3 is a mathematical expression that describes the possible interactions and symmetries of a system with two doublet irreps under the group S3. It is derived from the combination of the scalar potential and the symmetries of the system, and is used to understand the behavior and properties of physical systems with these symmetries.