Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of translations on real line with discrete topology

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    Hi.

I wanted to know in what way the group of translations on a real line with discrete topology (let's call it Td) will be different from the group of translations on a real line with the usual topology (lets call it Tu)? Is Td a Lie Group? Will it have the same generator as Tu?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2
    Note that every self-bijection will be continuous, which is rather boring.

It will still satisfy all the group axioms- they don't depend on topology. It will be a topological group since everything will be continuous. It will be a Lie group, if you count 0-dimensional Lie groups, and it will have uncountably many disconnected components.

All of the above can be said for any group, whether or not it already has a topology. Any group G can be considered a topological group simply by giving it the discrete topology (or a Lie group, albeit a 0-dimensional one).

I don't know what you mean by "the generator of Tu". The real line doesn't have a generator, does it?

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    OK, I didn't phrase that right. What I meant was that the real line has a discrete topology. Now I take the group of translations on it. My question was whether this group would be any different from the group of translations on a (real line with usual topology) and I think that they would be the same.

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    I don't understand your question,
    Yes- everything has a discrete topology.
    What are you defining as a "translation"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook