Understand Example 3.10 (b) Karl R. Stromberg, Chapter 3: Limits & Continuity

In summary, Karl R. Stromberg's book "An Introduction to Classical Real Analysis" is a dense read with a lot of information that is difficult to follow at first. However, by providing access to definitions and examples, and by asking for help from readers, he makes the material more accessible.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Karl R. Stromberg's book: "An Introduction to Classical Real Analysis". ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Limits and Continuity ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand Example 3.10 (b) on page 95 ... ... Example 3.10 (b) reads as follows:

View attachment 9208

My question is as follows:Stromberg says that if \(\displaystyle X\) is any set and \(\displaystyle \mathscr{T}\) is the family of all subsets of \(\displaystyle X\) ...

... then \(\displaystyle \mathscr{T}\) is nothing but the metric topology obtained from the discrete metric ...Can someone demonstrate/explain exactly how/why this is true ...?

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

===================================================================================Example 3.10 (b) above refers to Example 3.2 (a) ... ... so I am providing access to the same ... as follows:

View attachment 9212
It may help readers of the above post to have access to Stromberg's definition of a topological space ... so I am providing access to the same ... as follows:
View attachment 9209

Stromberg's definition of a topological space refers to Theorem 3.6 ... ... so I am providing access to the statement of the same ... as follows:
View attachment 9210

Stromberg's definition of a topological space also refers to Definition 3.3 ... ... so I am providing access to the same ... as follows:

View attachment 9211

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Stromberg - Example 3.10 (b) ...  .png
    Stromberg - Example 3.10 (b) ... .png
    8 KB · Views: 69
  • Stromberg -  Defn 3.9  ... Defn of a Topological Space ... .png
    Stromberg - Defn 3.9 ... Defn of a Topological Space ... .png
    19.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Stromberg - Statement of Theorem 3.6 ... .png
    Stromberg - Statement of Theorem 3.6 ... .png
    5.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Stromberg -  Defn 3.3  ... Defn of a Ball of Radius r with Center a  ... .png
    Stromberg - Defn 3.3 ... Defn of a Ball of Radius r with Center a ... .png
    7.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Stromberg - Example 3.2 (a) ... Discrete Metric Space .png
    Stromberg - Example 3.2 (a) ... Discrete Metric Space .png
    14.6 KB · Views: 89
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Stromberg says that if \(\displaystyle X\) is any set and \(\displaystyle \mathscr{T}\) is the family of all subsets of \(\displaystyle X\) ...

... then \(\displaystyle \mathscr{T}\) is nothing but the metric topology obtained from the discrete metric ...Can someone demonstrate/explain exactly how/why this is true ...?
Let $\rho$ be the discrete metric on the set $X$, and let $x\in X$. Then $\rho(x,y) = 1$ whenever $y\ne x$. Therefore $B_1(x) = \{y\in X:\rho(x,y)<1\} = \{x\}$. In words, that says that $B_1(x)$ is an open set consisting of the single point $x$.

Now let $S$ be a subset of $X$. Then \(\displaystyle S = \bigcup_{x\in S}\{x\} = \bigcup_{x\in S}B_1(x)\). That is a union of open sets and is therefore open. Again putting it in words, this says that in the discrete metric every subset of $X$ is open.

So the topology obtained from the discrete metric (which by definition is the family of all open subsets of $X$) is the family of all subsets of $X$.

Opalg said:
Let $\rho$ be the discrete metric on the set $X$, and let $x\in X$. Then $\rho(x,y) = 1$ whenever $y\ne x$. Therefore $B_1(x) = \{y\in X:\rho(x,y)<1\} = \{x\}$. In words, that says that $B_1(x)$ is an open set consisting of the single point $x$.

Now let $S$ be a subset of $X$. Then \(\displaystyle S = \bigcup_{x\in S}\{x\} = \bigcup_{x\in S}B_1(x)\). That is a union of open sets and is therefore open. Again putting it in words, this says that in the discrete metric every subset of $X$ is open.

So the topology obtained from the discrete metric (which by definition is the family of all open subsets of $X$) is the family of all subsets of $X$.
Thanks for a most helpful post, Opalg ...

Just reflecting on what you have said ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

1. What is the concept of limits in mathematics?

Limits are a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value, but may not necessarily reach that value.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the desired input value. This can be done numerically or algebraically using techniques such as substitution, factoring, and simplification.

3. What is continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is the property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. In other words, it means that the function is defined and has a smooth and connected graph without any holes, jumps, or gaps.

4. How is continuity related to limits?

Continuity and limits are closely related concepts in mathematics. A function is continuous at a point if its limit at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, continuity requires that the function approaches the same value from both sides of the point.

5. How does Karl R. Stromberg's example demonstrate the concept of limits and continuity?

In Example 3.10 (b) from Chapter 3 of his book, Karl R. Stromberg presents a function that is not continuous at a specific point, but has a limit at that point. This example illustrates how the limit of a function can exist even if the function is not continuous at that point, emphasizing the distinction between these two concepts.