Group Velocities: Understanding Sound Pulse Faster Than C

• Thread starter PapalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, a co-worker shared an article that showed a sound pulse traveling faster than light. After doing research, the question of how this does not send information faster than light was raised. The group velocity in the article was found to be negative, but it does not imply the transmission of information or energy at that speed. The source article was found to be sensationalized, but the paper behind it was located for further investigation. The discussion also led to a search for free scientific journals as a tangent.
PapalPhysicist
A co-worker recently shared an article with me that demonstrated a sound pulse traveling faster than c.

After doing much research, I am still confused as to how this does not send information faster than light.

If the leading edge of the pulse arrives before the rest of it, how would that not imply information? If you can detect it, does not it's mere presence imply information?

I know that I am confused, I'm just looking to be set right.

Physics news on Phys.org
PapalPhysicist said:
A co-worker recently shared an article with me that demonstrated a sound pulse traveling faster than c.

After doing much research, I am still confused as to how this does not send information faster than light.

If the leading edge of the pulse arrives before the rest of it, how would that not imply information? If you can detect it, does not it's mere presence imply information?

I know that I am confused, I'm just looking to be set right.

Do you have the article link?

http://m.phys.org/_news88249076.html

There's a recent thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=762019 where the OP demonstrates a group velocity which is ~10x the phase velocity (c) and is negative. I think if you look at how it was done, you can see how the group velocity can be a huge number but it doesn't imply that any information (and/or energy) is actually being transmitted at -10c.

PapalPhysicist said:
http://m.phys.org/_news88249076.html

Not a very good source, it's kind of sensationalized.

Here is the paper though: Here

Thanks, I'll look into the paper. I've been trying to find papers on group velocity but they have all been stuck behind a pay wall.

On a bit of a tangent, any good sources for scientific journals that are free?

What is a group velocity?

A group velocity is the speed at which a pulse of sound travels through a medium. It is different from the individual particle speeds within the medium, as it takes into account the collective behavior of the particles.

How is group velocity related to the speed of sound?

Group velocity and the speed of sound are closely related, as they both involve the propagation of sound waves. However, group velocity refers specifically to the speed of a pulse of sound, while the speed of sound refers to the constant speed at which sound travels through a medium under specific conditions.

Can group velocity be faster than the speed of light?

No, group velocity cannot be faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. While group velocities can exceed the speed of light in certain mediums, this does not violate the laws of physics as the individual particles within the medium are still moving at speeds slower than the speed of light.

What factors can affect the group velocity of sound?

The group velocity of sound can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and density of the medium through which it is traveling. Additionally, the frequency and wavelength of the sound wave can also impact the group velocity.

Why is understanding group velocities important in scientific research?

Group velocities play a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as acoustics, materials science, and geophysics. Understanding group velocities can help researchers study and predict the behavior of sound waves in different mediums, which has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, seismology, and medical imaging.