Guess the Warwickshire building from clues

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,349 replies · 121K views
Well done, Jonathan Scott. I've been following this thread's ramblings even though I stopped playing. 1oldman2 showed no mercy :biggrin:

:partytime::partytime:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Well done, Jonathan Scott. I've been following this thread's ramblings even though I stopped playing. 1oldman2 showed no mercy :biggrin:

:partytime::partytime:
:partytime::bow::partytime:
 
Jonathan Scott said:
That suggests that we are talking about the Pleiades volcano and Mount Melbourne, which too are about 100 nautical miles apart, in the part of Antarctica nearest to New Zealand, but I don't get the bit about spanning the Southern Cross. There was a ship called the Southern Cross involved in the first expedition which visited the interior of Antarctica (a few years before Amundsen and Scott) including Mount Melbourne. However, it's not there now; it returned safely and later sank in a storm off Newfoundland.

yup this was the wrong Pleiades.:smile:
pia19836-ngc2174.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
yup this was the wrong Pleiades.:smile:
That doesn't look like any Pleiades at all to me. After a bit of image searching I reckon it's an Spitzer infrared image of NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Jonathan Scott said:
That doesn't look like any Pleiades at all to me. After a bit of image searching I reckon it's an Spitzer infrared image of NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula.
Details... :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
May take me a day or two to come up with something else; one of my orchestras (Havant Chamber Orchestra) has a concert tomorrow night and I've been so busy with the admin and publicity stuff that I still need to practise the violin parts some more. I'd be happy for someone else to have a go.
 
Jonathan Scott said:
That doesn't look like any Pleiades at all to me. After a bit of image searching I reckon it's an Spitzer infrared image of NGC 2174, the Monkey Head Nebula.
:doh: I'm busted! here's the real deal.
7 sisters 1.jpg
7 sisters2.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jonathan Scott
OK, next one:

Baby, born in 1948, the first of its kind. Looks a mess when turned around. Long gone, but celebrated in museum exhibit - where?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
born in 1948
Brings to mind Israel, if that fits then I need to figure out some connections...
 
Sorry, nothing like that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, nothing like that.
:smile: just fishing for clues.
 
It's hardware.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky, collinsmark and 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Whoa, good one! :partytime:

Thank you, 1oldman2 ... :oldsmile:

I might not be right, though ? ... :blushing:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
OCR said:
Thank you, 1oldman2 ... :oldsmile:

I might not be right, though ? ... :blushing:

Odds favor you. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OCR
Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, that's where I accidentally missed seeing the replica when I visited the MOSI last summer.
Well, yes ... that would have been a disappointment ... :oldfrown:
Over to you...

Lol, I'll take a pass on that, you guys are way beyond my capabilities ... :blushing: ... :oldsmile:
 
OK, quick one.

Where did I see a record-breaker which isn't a duck despite sounding like one?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
1oldman2 likes this.
Aah! ... I must be right, then....:blushing:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
OCR said:
Aah! ... I must be right, then....:blushing:
Your turn now ! :ok:
 
1oldman2 said:
Your turn now ! :ok:
OK, I'll give it a go... it might be a bit narrowly defined, and vague, though I have posted about such things ... :oldwink:

"The flames of passion were extinguished by tears of sorrow." ... ← BTW, I made up that quote, Google might not help.This was an event that started on June 8, 2002 ... what was it ?

Lol... you might need a little more help?... :blushing:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OCR and 1oldman2
:doh: Sorry for jumping the gun there. Back to the 'ol drawing board.