Guess the Warwickshire building from clues

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,349 replies · 121K views
wolram said:
Darn it i knew that was to easy.
Well, your sneaky trick to make it my turn again seems to have succeeded!

Between my day job in IBM software support and running a couple of orchestras I don't seem to have a lot of time to be imaginative, and when I do find the time I prefer to use it thinking about physics. However, I'll try to come up with something soon.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
A garden in covered enclosures, or rather a project. Where?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Eden project, St. Blazey, Cornwall England ?

Eden project.PNG
 
1oldman2 said:
Eden project, St. Blazey, Cornwall England ?
Yes, that's it, well done. (Did you spot "Eden" in "coverED ENclosures" for confirmation?).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
(Did you spot "Eden" in "coverED ENclosures" for confirmation?).
Only after the fact, but that was an awesome way to sneak in a clue. I'll start working on another riddle but first I'm going to watch the Soyuz/Galileo launch, looks like the countdown is going smoothly, hoping for a "good show" :rocket: :smile:
 
Thomas Jefferson and his secretary of treasury got together with James Madison near Manhattan there was a river, name the river. :cool:
 
Do you mean the wallabout channel?
 
Did the river name start with a "P" ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Pepper Mint said:
Did the river name start with a "P" ?
Followed by o and 5 more letters?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Pepper Mint said:
Did the river name start with a "P" ?
no :sorry:
 
Jonathan Scott said:
Followed by o and 5 more letters?
No :sorry:
 
There are only three rivers around the Manhattan vicinity...the Hudson river, the Harlem river, and East river...

As for which one can potentially be the answer, I haven't a clue.

Perhaps none of them :biggrin:
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Perhaps none of them :biggrin:
:smile: Good call.
 
1oldman2 said:
:smile: Good call.
Good, I didn't think so. Carry along :oldlaugh:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Are we talking about the "compromise of 1790" meeting at 57 Maiden Lane? If so, that was actually in Manhattan, and although Maiden Lane followed the course of an old brook (which for a while ran down it), I can't find any reference to its name.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Are we talking about the "compromise of 1790" meeting at 57 Maiden Lane? If so, that was actually in Manhattan, and although Maiden Lane followed the course of an old brook (which for a while ran down it), I can't find any reference to its name.
That's very good but consider another Manhattan.
 
I don't know of any other Manhattan which could be relevant to this. (I started by looking at avenues and other streets, and I also investigated whether Manhattan in Montana would fit the rest of the clue, but couldn't find any connection).

The meeting was supposed to result in the capital being moved from the Susquehanna river to the Potomac river, but as far as I can see neither was particularly local to the meeting locality.
 
Jonathan Scott said:
whether Manhattan in Montana would fit the rest of the clue
sooo close... "A river from three peoples names", Jefferson's secretary of states name was...?
 
1oldman2 said:
sooo close... "A river from three peoples names", Jefferson's secretary of states name was...?
I was thinking of Alexander Hamilton, from 1790, but clearly you were thinking of Albert Gallatin, in which case the location is Three Forks, where the three rivers merge to form the Missouri.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
the Missouri.
:smile: well done, I guess at this point the clues are obvious.
 
1oldman2 said:
:smile: well done, I guess at this point the clues are obvious.
Interestingly misleading! String quartet rehearsal this evening, so will try to think up new one tomorrow.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Interestingly misleading!
nearly a "catch-22" approach for a riddle, but with the search engine aspect almost a necessary evil. It does have the benefit of encouraging "out of the box" reasoning though. Hope your rehearsal goes well, there are few things in the world finer than good music done properly. :music::ok:
 
Today the weather was unexpectedly very pleasant, sunny but not too hot, so we spent most of the day at some gardens only a bit more than half an hour's drive away, looking at the amazing rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias, as well as lots of other types of flowers and trees. We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location - what is it? It's come up before on the forums.
 
P.S. Q: What has big red flowers and is extinct? A: A Dododendron.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Is this an ex-thread? Should I bury it with the dododendron?
 
Jonathan Scott said:
Today the weather was unexpectedly very pleasant, sunny but not too hot, so we spent most of the day at some gardens only a bit more than half an hour's drive away, looking at the amazing rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias, as well as lots of other types of flowers and trees. We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location - what is it? It's come up before on the forums.
Is bee keeping involved?

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Is this an ex-thread? Should I bury it with the dododendron?
Sorry, AFK and MIA for a few there. :sorry:
 
Jonathan Scott said:
We also paid the extra for the other family activity at the same location
Zoo... ?

Or, petting zoo... ?Lol, yeah I know... wrong! .....:oldtongue:
 
collinsmark said:
Is bee keeping involved?
Sorry, no.