Guess the Warwickshire building from clues

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,349 replies · 120K views
OCR said:
Zoo... ?

Or, petting zoo... ?
Sorry, no. It shouldn't be necessary to guess, and I've already given a clue to confirm the name of the place.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, no. It shouldn't be necessary to guess, and I've already given a clue to confirm the name of the place.
:frown: Hmm.
 
1oldman2 said:
:frown: Hmm.
It's not meant to be difficult; if you Google for a garden with the relevant types of flowers near where I live it's probably going to be the first hit. It's a big place.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
This has got to be "it" :smile: http://www.exbury.co.uk/
In this case I was misleading myself by making it more difficult than need be. (Not the first time that has happened :doh:)
Yes, that's the right location, as hinted here:
Jonathan Scott said:
Is this an ex-thread? Should I bury it with the dododendron?
So what do you think the additional family activity was?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
So what do you think the additional family activity was?
Of course the first guess would be the train ride, however I'll begin looking for alternate answers now.
 
1oldman2 said:
Of course the first guess would be the train ride, however I'll begin looking for alternate answers now.
Yes, it was the steam train ride. I'll never be too old for that.

Over to you again...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
If all goes well, on new years day 2019, this lone "Planet" will visit a new local. name the local.
 
Are you stretching "All around the World" into the Kuiper Belt, then?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Are you stretching "All around the World" into the Kuiper Belt, then?
That would be the case. :ok:
 
1oldman2 said:
That would be the case. :ok:
Well, that confirms that I'm probably thinking of what you're thinking of, but for now I'll leave it for others to try, as I don't have any ideas for new ones.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Sorry i have not been around for a while, is this the planet you mean:

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-say-neptune-sized-planet-lurks-unseen-solar-system
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
No not that one, Think of the root of "Planet" the answer is more accurately a "Dwarf planet", however I used the term planet to describe something other than the intended target.
 
The date should be the giveaway when combined with the general location (assuming my guess is right).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
I love the provisional names they call new KBOs and their moons before their official naming, especially Santa and Rudolph (now Haumea and Hiʻiaka), Easter Bunny (now Makemake), and Xena and Gabrielle (now officially Eris and Dysnomia). However it's none of those.
 
Jonathan Scott said:
I love the provisional names they call new KBOs and their moons before their official naming, especially Santa and Rudolph (now Haumea and Hiʻiaka), Easter Bunny (now Makemake), and Xena and Gabrielle (now officially Eris and Dysnomia). However it's none of those.
I thought I new a little bit about asteroids comets and such but after this I realize there is a huge body of "objects" out there. This should keep the folks cataloguing and naming them busy for a while. I recently downloaded the Cosmographia simulation DennisN posted about, very cool and it gives a lot of perspective on just how much "stuff" is out there. :smile:
 
Here we go:

If you can only sing poorly go to this island anagram brain and find its neighbor, then find one of the worlds biggest attractions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
wolram said:
Here we go:

If you can only sing poorly go to this island anagram brain and find its neighbor, then find one of the worlds biggest attractions.
Which one are you thinking of? I presume it's on Sentosa, Singapore.
 
Jonathan Scott said:
Which one are you thinking of? I presume it's on Sentosa, Singapore.

It is presume ably the wolds largest.
 
wolram said:
It is presume ably the wolds largest.
Perhaps not any more. The "Marine Life Park" Wikipedia article says the following:

The S.E.A. Aquarium (South East Asia Aquarium) was the world's largest aquarium by total water volume until overtaken by Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Hengqin, China.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: wolram
I was hoping for confirmation, but assuming I've guessed right I'll continue anyway.

In the 1970s I did some work in another European country, in a city with an old and unusual railway, probably the first of its kind. It looks like something from the "Thunderbirds" TV series, and follows the line of a river for much of its route. To wrap up, let us know the name of the city!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2
Jonathan Scott said:
Perhaps not any more. The "Marine Life Park" Wikipedia article says the following:

The S.E.A. Aquarium (South East Asia Aquarium) was the world's largest aquarium by total water volume until overtaken by Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Hengqin, China.

Well done :biggrin: