Gum health and vitamin deficiency

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Health
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I have looked on the net but can find no answer, so, my dentist tells me i have to have two teeth out not because they are bad but because i have cavities in the gums, she tells me this may be linked to lack of b12 and folic acid, like how? i can find no additional info.
Thanks.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I have looked on the net but can find no answer, so, my dentist tells me i have to have two teeth out not because they are bad but because i have cavities in the gums, she tells me this may be linked to lack of b12 and folic acid, like how? i can find no additional info.
Thanks.
Cavities in the gums? Does she mean that you have periodontal disease? I'd also get a second opinion before getting teeth pulled.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInformation/DiseasesAndConditions/GumPeriodontalDiseases/PeriodontalDiseases.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she means gum-line caries... but unless your teeth are in horrific shape, most dentists would opt to try to save them. I cannot honestly say. You're in Britain, so getting another opinion is not going to happen quickly, I gather. But Evo is right - see another dentist.

From other posts, it seems you may work with pastries - are you taking a lot of work home - I did that years ago and gained weight like crazy. All of the airballs either went into the trashbin or into a sack to take home with you. My favorite was "exploding" eclairs... messy but good.

Starchy sweets are hell on wheels cavity-wise.
 
Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Maybe she means gum-line caries... but unless your teeth are in horrific shape, most dentists would opt to try to save them. I cannot honestly say. You're in Britain, so getting another opinion is not going to happen quickly, I gather. But Evo is right - see another dentist.

From other posts, it seems you may work with pastries - are you taking a lot of work home - I did that years ago and gained weight like crazy. All of the airballs either went into the trashbin or into a sack to take home with you. My favorite was "exploding" eclairs... messy but good.

Starchy sweets are hell on wheels cavity-wise.

I do not eat sweet things, i even find it hard to work with the smell of sweet things.
The dentist showed me xrays of the area and sure enought there are very clear looking cavities in the gums, i can actually feel a soft spot where one is shown, externally the gums look fine.
 
Evo said:
Cavities in the gums? Does she mean that you have periodontal disease? I'd also get a second opinion before getting teeth pulled.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInformation/DiseasesAndConditions/GumPeriodontalDiseases/PeriodontalDiseases.htm

My dentist has compliment me on the way i look after my teeth and gums, i think she is just is as annoyed as i am about having to have them out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
IIII dunno, Wollie. I've never heard of GUM cavities. Are you SURE she said gum CAVITIES? Which teeth are the ones that have to come out? Sometimes people get ABSCESSES in their gums and it invades the tooth/teeth, so that may be what is going on here. Some people can have gum abscesses and not even know it until it is too late to save the tooth. Simply a best guess based on my ER experience... Good luck!
 
on the other hand... :biggrin: I just found this on the net and it discusses pathological cavities in the gums from periodontitis... (see stage 2)

http://www.biodent.nu/engelska/behandling_e/paro_e.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tsu said:
IIII dunno, Wollie. I've never heard of GUM cavities. Are you SURE she said gum CAVITIES? Which teeth are the ones that have to come out? Sometimes people get ABSCESSES in their gums and it invades the tooth/teeth, so that may be what is going on here. Some people can have gum abscesses and not even know it until it is too late to save the tooth. Simply a best guess based on my ER experience... Good luck!

Thanks Tsu i have to go see the dentist today, may be she can explain more.