Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Gum health and vitamin deficiency

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have looked on the net but can find no answer, so, my dentist tells me i have to have two teeth out not because they are bad but because i have cavities in the gums, she tells me this may be linked to lack of b12 and folic acid, like how? i can find no additional info.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Cavities in the gums? Does she mean that you have periodontal disease? I'd also get a second opinion before getting teeth pulled.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInfo...umPeriodontalDiseases/PeriodontalDiseases.htm

4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe she means gum-line caries.... but unless your teeth are in horrific shape, most dentists would opt to try to save them. I cannot honestly say. You're in Britain, so getting another opinion is not gonna happen quickly, I gather. But Evo is right - see another dentist.

From other posts, it seems you may work with pastries - are you taking a lot of work home - I did that years ago and gained weight like crazy. All of the airballs either went into the trashbin or into a sack to take home with you. My favorite was "exploding" eclairs.... messy but good.

Starchy sweets are hell on wheels cavity-wise.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  5. Feb 14, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I do not eat sweet things, i even find it hard to work with the smell of sweet things.
    The dentist showed me xrays of the area and sure enought there are very clear looking cavities in the gums, i can actually feel a soft spot where one is shown, externally the gums look fine.

6. Feb 14, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

My dentist has compliment me on the way i look after my teeth and gums, i think she is just is as annoyed as i am about having to have them out.

7. Feb 14, 2008 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

IIII dunno, Wollie. I've never heard of GUM cavities. Are you SURE she said gum CAVITIES??? Which teeth are the ones that have to come out? Sometimes people get ABSCESSES in their gums and it invades the tooth/teeth, so that may be what is going on here. Some people can have gum abscesses and not even know it until it is too late to save the tooth. Simply a best guess based on my ER experience.... Good luck!!

8. Feb 14, 2008 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

9. Feb 15, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Tsu i have to go see the dentist today, may be she can explain more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?