Gut feelings: How the microbiome may affect mental illness

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gut
In summary, this article discusses the link between gut microbes and mental health, as well as tooth decay and depression. There is still a lack of concrete evidence to support these claims, but the idea is gaining traction nonetheless.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I suffer with bipolar , how would this help me?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161207093019.htm

All of us who have experienced a 'nervous stomach' under periods of stress suspect that there is a link between our gut and our mood. Now researchers have received strong scientific support for exactly this link.

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
All of us who have experienced a 'nervous stomach' under periods of stress suspect that there is a link between our gut and our mood. Now researchers have received strong scientific support for exactly this link.
I have read (sorry, no citations so you have to take this as anecdotal but I believe it is firmly established) that there is a demonstrable link between tooth decay microbes and depression, so it doesn't seem odd to me that an imbalance in your stomach chemistry would cause mood issues.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mental-health-may-depend-on-creatures-in-the-gut/

The human gut microbiome evolved to help us in myriad ways: Gut microbes make vitamins, break dietary fiber into digestible short-chain fatty acids and govern normal functions in the immune system. Probiotic treatments such as yogurt supplemented with beneficial strains of bacteria are already being used to help treat some gastrointestinal disorders, such as antibiotic-induced diarrhea. But there are little data about probiotic effects on the human brain.

Probiotic sites give "evidence" for more of a link, but the scientific research on this only recently being accepted as a pursuit.

Wiki has a write-up for probiotics, with the warning for consumers,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic
The European Food Safety Authority has rejected all petitions by commercial manufacturers for health claims on probiotic products in Europe due to insufficient research and thus inconclusive proof of effectiveness.[2][39] Occurring over many years, the scientific reviews established that a cause-and-effect relationship had not been sufficiently proven in the products submitted.[39]

In the United States where food product labeling requires language approval by the FDA, probiotic manufacturers have received warning letters of impending legal actions for using exaggerated claims of health benefits not supported by clinical evidence of efficacy

With trillions of micro-flora on or within our bodies, it is a worthwhile investigation.

Moved to General Discussion.

wolram said:
I suffer with bipolar , how would this help me?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161207093019.htm

Very interesting! I have heard similar things from a number of different knowledgeable people, i.e. that there is some sort of interaction/links between the gut and the brain.

phinds said:
I have read (sorry, no citations so you have to take this as anecdotal but I believe it is firmly established) that there is a demonstrable link between tooth decay microbes and depression, so it doesn't seem odd to me that an imbalance in your stomach chemistry would cause mood issues.
Also interesting! Furthermore, I am aware that there has been research that shows links between depression and inflammation. Some papers about this:
Edit: I just saw that I replied to a couple of posts from 2016. :smile:

How much you fart depends on the microbiome, so at least the link to sociability shouldn't be hard to prove.

• Haha
Likes DennisN

1. What is the microbiome?

The microbiome refers to the collection of microorganisms (such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi) that live in and on the human body. These microorganisms play an important role in various bodily functions and can impact overall health.

2. How does the microbiome affect mental illness?

Recent research suggests that the microbiome may play a role in the development and progression of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. The microorganisms in the gut produce neurotransmitters and other chemicals that can affect brain function and mood.

3. Can changes in the microbiome lead to mental illness?

While more research is needed, studies have shown that disruptions in the microbiome, such as changes in the types and amounts of microorganisms present, may contribute to the development of mental illness. This can be caused by factors such as diet, stress, and medication use.

4. Is there a link between gut health and brain health?

Yes, there is a growing body of evidence that suggests a strong connection between gut health and brain health. The gut and brain are connected through the gut-brain axis, a communication pathway between the two that involves hormones, immune cells, and the nervous system. Changes in the gut microbiome can impact brain function and vice versa.

5. Can probiotics improve mental health?

Some studies have shown that probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria, may have positive effects on mental health. For example, they may help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits of probiotics for mental illness.