Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guy really have tourettes, or is this simply a joke?

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    So, does this guy really have tourettes, or is this simply a joke?

Warning, bad language:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: tourettes???

It's a joke. A very bad joke.

Warning, there is a lot of bad language in that video, so don't link to it if you are offended by language. I will probably delete it.

Tourettes sufferers have no control and make noises and in some rare occurences shout obscenities, but completely random and not in response to what is happening.

I used to work with an engineer that had tourettes and he would bark like a seal. He would get worse if he got nervous.

4. Aug 23, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Children with Tourette's talking about their disorder:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Aug 23, 2008 #4

When I went bowling there was a kid with tourette's but I think he was also autistic or something.

He had trouble controlling his umm... volume. Whenever someone got a good hit he'd just yell "YEAH!!!", then his dad would tell him to calm down and be quiet (not shut up, just talk quieter), and he'd go "YEAH!!!!"

Tourette's is misunderstood like Schizophrenia is. People think the latter is about multiple personalities, where that's completely different.

6. Aug 23, 2008 #5

Evo

The girl that puts the pencil on the floor when she feels a need to do something like "press on her stomach" sounds like she has OCD, not tourettes. She's feeling a compulsion coming on. Another boy spoke about a compulsion.

I thought tourettes was something that just happened, not that they felt a compulsion coming on and could control it and cover it up. I know the guy that I worked with would just let out a bark mid sentence and had no idea it was going to happen.

Is tourettes often mis-diagnosed? I know it can be physical tics or verbal and severity can span a considerable range.

Ah, a quick google search shows that it is very mis-diagnosed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Aug 23, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My understanding is that with OCD the compulsions have to do with stopping intrusive unpleasant thoughts (obsessions). For instance, checking if the door is locked over and over because of worry that it's been left unlocked or not properly locked. It sounds like with Tourette's, the compulsions aren't something a person does to alleviate unpleasant thoughts, just something that can't be supressed. I wonder if there is a lot of co-morbidity with Tourette's and OCD.

8. Aug 23, 2008 #7

Evo

No, OCD is just a compulsion to do something. It can be different for everyone and what a couple of those kids described is OCD. I developed a mild form of OCD when I was 12, it was referred to as an auditory form where I would tap out rythyms. I have outgrown it. OCD can come and go. It can be brought on or made worse by stress.

Trichtilomania, for instance, is a type of OCD that is done purely for the pleasure that it gives.

I've studied OCD quite a bit and know a number of people that have it in different forms and to different degrees.

9. Aug 23, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml

10. Aug 23, 2008 #9

Evo

11. Aug 23, 2008 #10

I knew a kid who had tourette's and had it mostly under control, but when he got excited, for instance playing with our dogs, he would have a slight tick, but it wasn't really a big deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?