Guys would you wear Ed Hardy or Affliction clothing?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clothing
In summary: I get annoyed when I can't understand the lyrics, but I still enjoy the song. This summary is about the In summary, people who like the clothing Affliction are considered by experts to be suckers. The clothes are expensive, and people would not likely wear them.
gravenewworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be enough suckers around to keep those lines selling. Hard to believe...

junglebeast said:
I got something very like that as a present from someone visiting the Yukon - I haven't worn it !

It's summer now, the season when people give you free T shirts for volunteering at outdoors events.

If you want a T-shirt, go https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZW3K2/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and read the reviews.

[QUOTE="One Reviewer Wrote]
12,028 of 12,134 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Dual Function Design, November 10, 2008
By B. Govern "Bee-Dot-Govern" (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This item has wolves on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I tried it on, that's when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the shirt would properly cover my girth, I walked from my trailer to Wal-mart with the shirt on and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the wolves on my shirt that I, like a wolf, am a mysterious loner who knows how to 'howl at the moon' from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called mehth. I told them no, because they didn't have enough teeth, and frankly a man with a wolf-shirt shouldn't settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Wal-mart, mounted my courtesy-scooter (walking is such a drag!) sitting side saddle so that my wolves would show. While I was browsing tube socks, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly sweaty dream in sweatpants and flip-flops standing there. She told me she liked the wolves on my shirt, I told her I wanted to howl at her moon. She offered me a swig from her mountain dew, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you wolf shirt.

Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women
Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark. [/QUOTE]

There are hundreds like these just for this amazing shirt.

Wow, I doubt I'd wear those clothes even if I got them for free, and there's no way I'd spend over $50 on them.

junglebeast said:
Equivalent questions:

2) Does this remind you of someone in your family?

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/trailer-park.jpg

Everyone's got a bit of redneck in them, right? Hilarious. Glad I wasn't at work when I opened it though...

My 10-yr old youngest stepson oogles that ed hardy / affliction crap in the stores (when we alk through to get dad a tie or something)... but we're good with saying "Are you kidding? you like that crap? No way!" He instead managed to start a button-down shirt fad at his elementary school this past year.

I, for one, can't stand the affliction shirts, but I sure wish I was the one who originally thought up the concept. $$$

physics girl phd said:
My 10-yr old youngest stepson oogles that ed hardy / affliction crap in the stores (when we alk through to get dad a tie or something)... but we're good with saying "Are you kidding? you like that crap? No way!" He instead managed to start a button-down shirt fad at his elementary school this past year.

When I was 10 years old I probably would have thought that was cool, too. It's hard to understand the mind of a 10 year old without being 10.

From my recollection, I was all about "purity" of form. I hated any music that had vocals in them, because I viewed vocalization to be an impure form of music. I only liked beat and rhythm. With shirts, I hated shirts that had slogans or anything on them...I only wanted shirts that displayed beautiful patterns. This made me envy those cheezy shirts with the tattoo style patterns.

I think that as a child, it was simply easier to focus on simple things. Over time I grew bored of "pure" music that lacked vocals. I started off liking music that had vocals where the voice was used purely as an instrument...I immediately got annoyed if a legible word could be discerned. But over time I began to see the beauty in words too, and in shirts.

With shirts, I went through a phase where I only wanted to wear hot pink clothing, or clothing that had some famous brand/place name. Both of these were related to insecurity. I wanted to wear hot pink clothing because I perceived that everyone who was popular wore hot colored clothing. I wanted to wear shirts with brand names/ place names because it displayed that I had been places, and was therefore, an awesome person who traveled.

I dunno, maybe every kid has a different way of seeing things :)

I like the way the clothes look but I'm not paying what they're asking under any circumstances. Also, when it gets to the point where EVERYONE is wearing the same thing I pretty much avoid it.

I may have to start buying more T-shirts because mine are getting hole-y. Whenever I actually paid for a shirt, it was usually at the end of a biker bash, and the vendors wanted to dump them dirt-cheap because they had "Laconia Bike Week 2000" or similar on them. Before that, I always got my shirts from beer vendors. When they wanted to promote specials at a tavern where I was entertaining, I'd time my breaks and let them use my PA to run their contests. Got a LOT of shirts that way. My favorite was from Shipyard Brewery and featured a picture of Joshua Chamberlain (Civil War hero).

The first one wasn't bad, and for the prce, sure, I'd wear it. The rest are pretty ugly and WAY over priced.

Both styles are super passe! Way too much going on. Some of the designs decent but need to be toned way down and simplified more.

The only people who should ever wear Affliction or Tapout are the people who are sponsored by them.

I know a few mma fighters and they would never wear affliction or tapout (unless sponsorship was involved).

The only thing wrong with that first shirt is the stupid skull. Skulls on your shirt = auto dbag.

moose said:
The only people who should ever wear Affliction or Tapout are the people who are sponsored by them.

I know a few mma fighters and they would never wear affliction or tapout (unless sponsorship was involved).

The only thing wrong with that first shirt is the stupid skull. Skulls on your shirt = auto dbag.

I'd say something along the lines of "judging people by what they wear = auto dbag".

Here's my favorite brewery freebie:

http://www.shipyardshopping.com/shirts/chmb.html

For those who have lived under a rock, Joshua Chamberlain resigned his professorship at Bowdoin College to join the union forces and he was in command of the 20th Maine, when, his troops out of ammunition, he ordered a bayonet charge and routed superior confederate forces to hold Little Round Top and protect the union flank at Gettysburg. Kind of a big deal. Eventually, he was selected to accept the surrender of the confederate troops at the end of the war - quite an honor.

Those shirts are hideous! But, that's also probably why the first one is on clearance sale for $9.99. They probably don't expect people to pay full price, but to grab them up when they see a $100 shirt reduced to $9.99 on sale, which is probably still a $7 profit.

Monocles said:
I'd say something along the lines of "judging people by what they wear = auto dbag".

I'd say something along the lines of "wearing a shirt that says TAPOUT, knowing fully well that they CHOSE that shirt out of the countless shirts in the world, and almost certainly have never taken any form of martial art class, makes them seem like complete UFC wannabes". It's like if someone were to wear a shirt that said "Guitar virtuoso" yet in actuality have never even touched a guitar before.

We choose what we wear, so people judge it.

I saw some kid wearing a shirt that said "Talk **** get hit". Nobody who actually knows how to fight would wear such a shirt, only some macho tool.

JasonRox said:
LOL

I am a member of the website who planned that review attack. Funniest thing ever.

Gjdm.

JasonRox said:
LOL

I am a member of the website who planned that review attack. Funniest thing ever.

Kudos to you and your gang! The reviews are hilarious.

I actually know several people that wear both of those brands. I once had to write an essay for an English class explaining why I would never spend $30+ on a pair of jeans. Everybody else in the class thought this was very odd, as most of them apparently spend a minimum of $100 on jeans. I still don't really see the appeal. Most people argued that expensive brand name clothing is of better quality, but I actually tried a pair of True Religion jeans on (I guess they were the latest craze), just out of curiosity, and they didn't feel any different to me. Well, besides the shock I received when I realized I was wearing a $350 pair of jeans. ^.^

hollyrenee said:
I actually know several people that wear both of those brands. I once had to write an essay for an English class explaining why I would never spend $30+ on a pair of jeans. Everybody else in the class thought this was very odd, as most of them apparently spend a minimum of $100 on jeans. I still don't really see the appeal. Most people argued that expensive brand name clothing is of better quality, but I actually tried a pair of True Religion jeans on (I guess they were the latest craze), just out of curiosity, and they didn't feel any different to me. Well, besides the shock I received when I realized I was wearing a $350 pair of jeans. ^.^

It's just a status thing... they don't care about quality. If everyone else started wearing parachute pants at $750 a pop they'd call you out of touch for wearing what they're wearing now.

While it's true that a high price doesn't guarantee quality, the opposite is almost universal: cheap means lack of quality. Cashmere, e.g., is rare and hence expensive. High quality workmanship is expensive. It's like anything else in life.

As for the original shirts, they are hideous. The guy on the toilet ain't a pretty sight either.

It's always interesting to see arguments concerning things that are purely subjective, although it happens less here than most boards.

I'm 25, so sort of in the middle of the two sides of this I guess. There are very few shirts from Affliction, and zero from Ed Hardy that I've found so far that I like. I liked the idea of tattoo inspired art, but almost all of it from these two companies is too over the top for me. I own two Affliction shirts, one is from ~4 years ago before they got big and unless you read the inside of it you wouldn't know it was from them. It has no tattoo inspired art and is quite simple in design. The other is a typical tatto inspired one that I relegate to peeking out from under a very nice button down.

The only real trend I can't stand is the skinny leg jeans

Whatever sinks your ship though...

hollyrenee said:
why I would never spend $30+ on a pair of jeans. Everybody else in the class thought this was very odd, as most of them apparently spend a minimum of $100 on jeans.
Apart from business suits I don't think I've spent $100 on any item of clothing that wasn't made of Gortex.

I've never seen an artificially made fabric that didn't have a better, natural counterpart.

ozymandias said:
I've never seen an artificially made fabric that didn't have a better, natural counterpart.

Gortex - canvas
Polartec - tweed
Neoprene - rubber
Polypropylene - cotton

I discovered Affliction on my own a few years ago. I thought the shirts looked pretty cool, but were way too expensive. After all, it's just a t-shirt. Then the shirts started becoming trendy and certain people who I don't want to be associated with started wearing them, so that kinda deterred me from that brand.
Not to mention some of the shirts have to be dry cleaned.

tchitt said:
It's just a status thing... they don't care about quality. If everyone else started wearing parachute pants at $750 a pop they'd call you out of touch for wearing what they're wearing now.

Yeah, exactly. They justified spending $350 on a pair of jeans by arguing that the denim is of better quality, thus they will last longer and pay for themselves in the long run. The only problem with that is that within 6 months or so another trendy brand generally pops up and it is suddenly a must have. Then those super high-quality jeans that would last forever end up shunned to the back of the closet where they will sit and gather dust for all eternity. :biggrin:

Back