Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gyroscopic effect on planetary motion

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    Gyroscopic effect on planetary motion!!

Hi PFians

This is my first ever post in astrophysics since I've got very interested in it from last 2 days...

I was wondering when earth rotates about it's axis and at the same time changes it's direction due to revolution about sun....won't it have to handle gyroscopic effects. When a spinning object like a bicycle wheel is forced to change direction(while steering), it undergoes rotation about an axis perpendicular to the changed direction and hence the whole bicycle rotates (to counter this we lean the bicycle at an angle).
    Similarly, when the spinning earth will change its direction due to movement about sun, it will undergo rotation about an axis exactly perpendicular to rotational axis.
    Correct me if I am wrong!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Gyroscopic effect on planetary motion!!

Take a bicycle wheel in your hands and set it spinning. Now turn the wheel to the side. You will experience a force turning you around.

This is not how the Earth works.

Take a bicycle wheel in your hands and set it spinning. Now step forward, then left then back then right. You do not experience a force turning you around.

This is how the Earth works.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

Yeah! I got it wrong! Actually direction of earth's rotational axis doesn't change!!
    But what about the precession of equinoxes (the earth's wobbling). At that time the earth's rotational axis gets changed...... so then earth must experience Gyroscopic effects!

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Earth's precession occurs over 26,000 years. That's 75 years per 1 degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook