Hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Miss.

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Beware!In summary, a new species of ant known as the "Raspberry Ant" has been causing chaos in Texas and Mississippi by invading industrial sites and causing computer systems to short out. These ants are highly organized and difficult to control, requiring overkill measures to keep them at bay. They have been present for several years and are fast-moving and disorganized. Some people have suggested using chemical means to control them, while others have joked about sending them back where they came from. In the end, it seems that these ants are just another example of the power and dominance of insects over humans.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Armageddon in the form of ants? They can potentially wipe out huge industrial sites?

Armageddants.

It's an extreme example of what can happen when the ants — which also can disable huge industrial plants — go unchecked.

A computer system controlling pipeline valves shorted out twice in about 35 days, but monthly treatments there now keep the bugs at bay, said exterminator Tom Rasberry, who found the first Texas specimens of the species in the Houston area in 2002.

"We're kind of going for overkill on that particular site because so much is at stake," he said. "If that shuts down, they could literally shut down an entire chemical plant that costs millions of dollars."

And, compared to other ants, these need overkill. For instance, Gold said, if 100,000 are killed by pesticides, millions more will follow.
more...

http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-ants-invade-texas-miss-150823360.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yuck! Add them to the list of things going wrong.

sounds like just a matter of time before they kill people

http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's much worse than the pigs.

GO ANTS! Create chaos everywhere my precious anty minions!

You guys should watch this video. It's really interesting.

Evo said:
Armageddants.

LOL, only someone who's never lived in the tropics could be surprised by this. Bugs already rule the world with some 4-6 hundred pounds of ants alone for every human being. They only tolerate us because we grow sugar.:tongue:

Meh, that story is old news. I live in Houston and worked in the chemical industry. They were there the entire 4.5 years that I was, although we didn't know of them as "Raspberry Ants" until 2-3 years ago. I've never seen them around my house or anywhere away from the chemical plant where I worked (5 miles from my house) and I've lived in the area all my life.

They are interesting to watch though. There's seemingly no method to the madness and they are VERY fast. They look like normal red ants on speed and highly disorganized.

Sure would be nice if we could invent a chemical which tells them "Ok, you're very old and have lived a nice, long life, so go lay down and die."

Probably just create more food for those who didn't get the message.

Evo said:
Hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Miss.

We had the same problem in California with hairy, crazy aunts from South Dakota.

Ivan Seeking said:
We had the same problem in California with hairy, crazy aunts from South Dakota.

Its all them illegal aliens I tell ya. Fire ants, killer bees, we should send em back where they came from.

wuliheron said:
Its all them illegal aliens I tell ya. Fire ants, killer bees, we should send em back where they came from.

Oh, ants, not aunts! Nevermind.

Just hire some prepubescent boys with a history of torturing insects.

Loren Booda said:
Just hire some prepubescent boys with a history of torturing insects.

WTH?

I think these raspberry creatures outnumber them millions to one, so the boys will be busy...

Uh, they've a hive mind. We have a collective mind. Can't we do better?

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh, ants, not aunts! Nevermind.

Ants can have aunts.

DoggerDan said:
WTH?

I think these raspberry creatures outnumber them millions to one, so the boys will be busy...

Uh, they've a hive mind. We have a collective mind. Can't we do better?

Reflecting on my childhood and the 1,000,000+ ants I must have killed.

Evo said:
Armageddon in the form of ants? They can potentially wipe out huge industrial sites?

Armageddants.

more...

http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-ants-invade-texas-miss-150823360.html
I think they are Templar Termite Terrorists in disguise.

1. How did the hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Mississippi?

The hairy, crazy ants, also known as tawny crazy ants, are native to South America. They were first discovered in Texas in 2002, likely brought in through shipping containers from their native region. These ants have a unique ability to form large colonies and reproduce quickly, making it easy for them to spread to neighboring states like Mississippi.

2. Are hairy, crazy ants dangerous?

While hairy, crazy ants do not pose a direct threat to humans, they can cause damage to electrical systems and electronics. These ants are attracted to electrical currents and can cause short circuits by nesting in electrical equipment. They can also displace native ant species and disrupt the ecosystem.

3. How can we control the spread of hairy, crazy ants?

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for controlling the spread of these ants. Traditional ant control methods, such as bait traps, are not effective against hairy, crazy ants. The best way to control their spread is through early detection and prevention measures, such as regularly inspecting and sealing entry points in buildings.

4. Can hairy, crazy ants be beneficial in any way?

Hairy, crazy ants have been found to prey on other pest species, such as fire ants, which can be beneficial in controlling their populations. However, their invasive nature and potential to cause damage outweigh any potential benefits.

5. How can we tell if we have a hairy, crazy ant infestation?

Hairy, crazy ants can be identified by their reddish-brown color and erratic, fast movements. They also have longer and more abundant hairs on their bodies compared to other ant species. If you suspect an infestation, it is best to consult with a professional pest control service for proper identification and treatment.