Hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Miss.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 4K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
Armageddon in the form of ants? They can potentially wipe out huge industrial sites?

Armageddants.

It's an extreme example of what can happen when the ants — which also can disable huge industrial plants — go unchecked.

A computer system controlling pipeline valves shorted out twice in about 35 days, but monthly treatments there now keep the bugs at bay, said exterminator Tom Rasberry, who found the first Texas specimens of the species in the Houston area in 2002.

"We're kind of going for overkill on that particular site because so much is at stake," he said. "If that shuts down, they could literally shut down an entire chemical plant that costs millions of dollars."

And, compared to other ants, these need overkill. For instance, Gold said, if 100,000 are killed by pesticides, millions more will follow.
more...

http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-ants-invade-texas-miss-150823360.html
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yuck! Add them to the list of things going wrong.
 
sounds like just a matter of time before they kill people

http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should watch this video. It's really interesting.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Armageddants.

LOL, only someone who's never lived in the tropics could be surprised by this. Bugs already rule the world with some 4-6 hundred pounds of ants alone for every human being. They only tolerate us because we grow sugar.:-p
 
Meh, that story is old news. I live in Houston and worked in the chemical industry. They were there the entire 4.5 years that I was, although we didn't know of them as "Raspberry Ants" until 2-3 years ago. I've never seen them around my house or anywhere away from the chemical plant where I worked (5 miles from my house) and I've lived in the area all my life.

They are interesting to watch though. There's seemingly no method to the madness and they are VERY fast. They look like normal red ants on speed and highly disorganized.
 
Sure would be nice if we could invent a chemical which tells them "Ok, you're very old and have lived a nice, long life, so go lay down and die."

Probably just create more food for those who didn't get the message.
 
Evo said:
Hairy, crazy ants invade from Texas to Miss.

We had the same problem in California with hairy, crazy aunts from South Dakota.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
We had the same problem in California with hairy, crazy aunts from South Dakota.

Its all them illegal aliens I tell ya. Fire ants, killer bees, we should send em back where they came from.
 
wuliheron said:
Its all them illegal aliens I tell ya. Fire ants, killer bees, we should send em back where they came from.

Oh, ants, not aunts! Nevermind.
 
Just hire some prepubescent boys with a history of torturing insects.
 
Loren Booda said:
Just hire some prepubescent boys with a history of torturing insects.

WTH?

I think these raspberry creatures outnumber them millions to one, so the boys will be busy...

Uh, they've a hive mind. We have a collective mind. Can't we do better?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh, ants, not aunts! Nevermind.

Ants can have aunts.
 
DoggerDan said:
WTH?

I think these raspberry creatures outnumber them millions to one, so the boys will be busy...

Uh, they've a hive mind. We have a collective mind. Can't we do better?

Reflecting on my childhood and the 1,000,000+ ants I must have killed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Armageddon in the form of ants? They can potentially wipe out huge industrial sites?

Armageddants.

more...

http://news.yahoo.com/hairy-crazy-ants-invade-texas-miss-150823360.html
I think they are Templar Termite Terrorists in disguise.