1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half-life decomposition, find final concentration

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a first order decomposition in which the rate constant is 0.03 sec-1, how much of the compound (in mol/L) is left after 39 sec, if there was 2.00 mol/L at the start?

I'm using a few equations and trying to plug it in but I don't know whether they are appropriate or not.

The answer is .621 but I'm not sure how to get there

2. Relevant equations

Ln(A(initial) /A(final) = -kt

A(final) = -KT + A(initial)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried plugging into these equations but haven't gotten the right answer yet. Are these the correct equations to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

They can't be both right at the same time - one is for the zeroth order reactions.

Which one is for first order reactions?

What is k?

Show details of what you did.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    I used the formula ln[A] = -kt + ln[A]o

Ao = unknown
    Ao = 2 M
    K = .03 sec^-1
    t=39 seconds

Ln A = (-.03)(39 seconds) + Ln2
    LnA = -.4767 which I can't take the natural log of. I think I'm doing something wrong in the equation but I'm really not sure what :|

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4

Borek

OK

So it is an unknown with a known value? But let's assume it was just a typo.

That's were your thinking got derailed. Why do you want to take a logarithm of logarithm and not an antilogarithm?

6. Sep 23, 2012 #5
    Yea to be honest logarithms have always been confusing to me. I found out how to get the answer but I used e^(-.4767)

Why would I use the Ln on the 2mol/l and then switch to e, even though the formula has LnA? I don't really get the concept of logs yet :|

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6

Borek

Your problem is with math, not with the chemistry.

From the logarithm definitions, if b=ln(A), A=eb. You have calculated ln(A), so the value you are looking for is eln(A).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook