1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate mass of compound given the mole % of total solution

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Known:

Mass of compound A: 15mg (weighed in excess), MM=200g/mol
    Mass of compound B: 6mg, MM=700g/mol
    Concentration of each compound listed above(Concentration of solution of compound A or solution of Compound B): 20mg/L
    Total concentration of the solution: 20mg/mL
    Molar percent(percent of total number of moles in solution) of compound A: 20%
    Problem:
    I will list everything that is given to me by the problem as (Given:)

So I measured a mass of compound A, lets say 15mg. And I measure a mass of compound B, lets say 6mg. (Given: concentration of each compound is 20mg/mL). Compound A is measured in excess. So using the mass, and the given concentration, I calculate the volume required for each compound(using the given concentration of 20mg/mL) and mix each compound into their required volumes to create 2 solutions. However, (Given: 10% molar percent[that is to say 10% of the total number of moles in the final solution]) of Compound A, what is the mass and volume of Compound A that I need to add to Compound B in order to get that mole percent? However, I cannot change the total concentration of the solution(Given: 20mg/mL)

2. Relevant equations

C=nv etc simple chem equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Moles A: 15mg/1000/200g/mol=7.5*10^(-5)
    Moles B: 6mg/1000/700g/mol=8.57*10^(-7)

Total Moles in sol'n*(1-0.2)=Moles Compound B
    Total Moles in sol'n=1.07*10^(-6) moles
    Moles of Compound A needed=1.07*10^(-6) moles*0.2=2.14*10^(-7)
    Mass of Compound A=2.14*10^(-7)*200g/mol*1000=0.043mg
    Volume of Compound A to add=0.043mg/(20mg/mL)=0.00214mL
    ^This answer is wrong however.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is still not clear what you are trying to do and what you are calculating.

4. Nov 6, 2016 #3
    Hi, I have two powders, compound A and compound B. I need to make 2 solutions each containing the two powders, so I use the concentration of each solution(20mg/mL) to determine how much of the solvent I need to add. Now I have 2 solutions with powder A and powder B dissolved in them. I need to add a certain amount of the compound A solution(since it was made in excess) to compound B solution so that the entire final solution has 10% molar mass of compound A. I am trying to calculate the mass Compound A and consequently the volume (as made in my solution containing compound A) that I have to add to the solution containing compound B . However, I must keep the final concentration of the solution at 20mg/mL. I hope this clarifies my question. Thank you!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  5. Nov 7, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted