Half Life of Radioactive Isotopes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
daveb
Messages
548
Reaction score
2
Is there any theory that predicts the halflife of a radioisotope given the number of neutrons and protons in the element? For example, given X protons and Y neutrons, is there anything other than empirical data to predict when half of a given sample will decay? I know there are isalnds of stability, but what (if any) mathematical basis is this based upon?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the size of the nucleas you can predict what type of decay it is likely to undergo and how likely it is to be radio-active.
The more unbalanced it is compared to the stable isotope the higher the activity and so the shorter the half life - but in general I don't think you can directly calculate half life.

The stability islands are based on models of shells in the nucleus but how much this is a fundamental law rather than just a fit to the data I don't know.