Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half of Cambridge students cheat. Still a Top 10 university?

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    :yuck:http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/10/31/Poll_Half_of_Cambridge_students_cheat/UPI-74291225507701/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2
    I thought the ranking system is based on citations in scientific journals or something like that. Even if students are shooting themselves in the foot doesn't make university bad.

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's based on research funding, an indirect indicator of research quality, not academic performance of the students.

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no official raning system - the top lists are published by various newspapers, admissions guides etc.
    There used to be the Research Assesment Exercise where the department stops all research for 3months every year and submits a huge amount of documentation and is then assessed by another university you then get a mark out of 5.

My old dept at Cambridge once got a 4.9 and since anything less than a 5 naturally means that the dept is shut down and all the staff shot - there was an investigation.
    What happened was that a course we didn't teach was on the list. Half the reviewers automatically put a 5 because it was Cambridge, the rest noted this and left the answer blank which scored a zero. Naturally the committee in charge simply averaged the results! A case was made that in fact dividing the score by the courses we did teach we actaully scored more than 100%.

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That sounds like my teaching evaluations from last year. I didn't lecture last year, I was only a lab instructor, yet, instead of skipping over the question on the quality of my lectures on my teaching evaluations, the students seemed to all just pick an average score for some reason. :confused: I think it would be hilarious if I got a better evaluation for not lecturing than some people do for giving lectures though. But, I've been tempted to present that to the administration as evidence of the flaws of teaching evaluations.

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6

The evaluations are a bit of a joke here. The instructor is not allowed to be in the room when we do them, so a student has to volunteer to collect them and turn them in the office. The instructor passes them out at the end of class (usually end the class a few minutes early) but then people rush to finish them so they can leave and you feel pressured to finish it fast so the volunteer can get it and leave and turn it in. I like to write a paragraph or so in addition to the scantron part but most people dont write anything and I always feel rushed trying to fill it out.

8. Feb 22, 2009 #7

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If Cambridge's goal is to produce future politicians, then they're only getting it half right, or perhaps the other half isn't majoring in political science?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?