Halogenation of an alcohol (iodation)

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, halogenation of an alcohol, specifically iodation, is a chemical process that introduces an iodine atom to an alcohol molecule. This is done by reacting the alcohol with a halogenating agent in the presence of an acid catalyst. It has various applications in organic chemistry, but safety precautions should be taken when handling iodine due to its corrosive nature.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Turn R-OH to R-I
Relevant Equations
x
I don't understand why in order to make RI from ROH, you'd have to use FINSKELSTEIN condition:
ROH + PBR3 --> RBr
RBr + NaI --> RI + NaBr

and not directly
ROH + PI3 --> RI

Thank you so much for your help!
Pardon me if my english is not correct.

<mentor edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is halogenation of an alcohol (iodation)?

Halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) is a chemical reaction in which an iodine atom is added to an alcohol molecule, resulting in the formation of an alkyl iodide compound.

2. What is the purpose of halogenation of an alcohol (iodation)?

The purpose of halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) is to convert the alcohol functional group (-OH) into an alkyl iodide functional group (-I), which has different chemical properties and can be used for various reactions and synthesis processes.

3. How is halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) carried out?

Halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) is typically carried out by reacting the alcohol with an iodine-containing reagent, such as iodine or iodine monochloride, in the presence of an acid catalyst, such as hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid.

4. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of halogenation of an alcohol (iodation)?

The main factors that affect the efficiency of halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) include the concentration and type of iodine reagent, the concentration and type of acid catalyst, the temperature and reaction time, and the presence of any impurities or competing reactions.

5. What are some common applications of halogenation of an alcohol (iodation)?

Halogenation of an alcohol (iodation) is commonly used in organic synthesis to introduce an iodine functional group into a molecule, which can then be used for further reactions or as a precursor for other compounds. It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and other industrial chemicals.