Hamiltonian and Commuting operators

In summary, using conserved quantities in QM is equivalent to recoding the hamiltonian in terms of commuting operators. This is done in an effort to find an "involution" of the conserved quantities, which is necessary in order to solve the problem.
dudy
Hi,
A general question..
In analytical mechanics, we take a given hamiltonian and re-write it in term of generalzed coordinates. In a way- we recode the hamiltonian to concern only the "essence" of the problem.
However, it seems to me, that in QM we do the opposite- we look for operators that commute with the hamiltonian and recode the hamiltonian in terms of these operators.
But.. isn't using conserved quantities the exact opposite of using with generalzed coordinates (idea-wise)?
And more specifically - Given any hamiltonian , I can simply choose an operator that has nothing to do with the problem (say.. choose the spin operator in a spinless problem). ofcourse this operator will commute with the hamiltonian, but it won't help in solving the problem (ie finding the energy values). This I don't understand- why do some commuting operators help in solving the problem, and some don't? I mean, formally, what is the differece btwn those who do help us, and those who don't?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dudy said:
In analytical mechanics, we take a given hamiltonian and re-write it in term of generalzed coordinates. In a way- we recode the hamiltonian to concern only the "essence" of the problem.
However, it seems to me, that in QM we do the opposite- we look for operators that commute with the hamiltonian and recode the hamiltonian in terms of these operators.
But.. isn't using conserved quantities the exact opposite of using with generalzed coordinates (idea-wise)?
Actually, it's not really different in QM. In the Hamilton-Jacobi method of classical mechanics, one attempts to find "enough" conserved quantities so that the full dynamical solution becomes easy. But the passage from canonical coordinates [itex](p,q)[/itex] to [itex](J,q_0)[/itex], where J is a conserved quantity, and [itex]q_0[/itex] is an initial condition, is simply a canonical transformation. That's just what generalized coordinates are, i.e., new coordinates obtained from the old ones via a canonical transformation. A specific case of this is the so-called Action-Angle variables in periodic motion.

To solve the full dynamics, it often helps to substitute the expressions for the conserved quantities back into the equations of motion -- because the conserved quantities have zero time-derivative.

More precisely, we search for a set of conserved quantities which are "in involution" with each other. (meaning that all the Poisson brackets between those quantities vanish). Typically, energy is one of the conserved quantities, so the Hamiltonian is one of the quantities in the set.

Passing to QM, the phrase "mutually in involution" in CM becomes "mutually commuting" in QM.

And more specifically - Given any hamiltonian , I can simply choose an operator that has nothing to do with the problem (say.. choose the spin operator in a spinless problem). of course this operator will commute with the hamiltonian, but it won't help in solving the problem (ie finding the energy values).
In the spinless case, the corresponding conserved quantity (angular momentum) is trivial (i.e., 0). In the language of classical mechanics, this means your system is "degenerate", in that some of the conserved quantities are trivial and the corresponding degrees of freedom can be factored out of the dynamics. We do something similar when solving the Kepler problem -- motion occurs in a plane, so rotation outside that plane is trivial and we can factor out those degenerate degrees of freedom to get a simpler set of equations to solve.

This I don't understand- why do some commuting operators help in solving the problem, and some don't? I mean, formally, what is the differece btwn those who do help us, and those who don't?
Hopefully this is now answered by the distinction between degenerate and non-degenerate degrees of freedom in the problem?

[For further reading, try Goldstein, or Jose & Saletan.]

Last edited:
Wow.
Thank you! Very helpful

1. What is a Hamiltonian operator?

A Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is represented by the symbol H and is related to the time evolution of a physical system.

2. What is the significance of commuting operators?

Commuting operators are operators that can be multiplied in any order without changing the result. In quantum mechanics, this means that the observables represented by these operators can be measured simultaneously with no uncertainty. This concept is important in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

3. How are Hamiltonian and commuting operators related?

Hamiltonian and commuting operators are related in that the eigenvalues of commuting operators can be used to label the energy states of a Hamiltonian operator. This allows for the calculation of the energy spectrum and the prediction of the system's behavior over time.

4. Can any two operators commute?

No, not all operators commute. In order for two operators to commute, they must share the same set of eigenstates. This means that their corresponding physical quantities can be simultaneously measured with no uncertainty.

5. What are some real-world applications of Hamiltonian and commuting operators?

Hamiltonian and commuting operators have many applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the study of atoms, molecules, and other physical systems. They are also used in various technologies, such as quantum computing and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging.