Hamiltonian of a Physical Theory: Lagrangian vs Transformation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Narasoma
Messages
42
Reaction score
10
What does it means for a physical theory to have hamiltonian, if it is formulated in lagrangian form? Why doesn't someone just apply the lagrangian transformation to the theory, and therefore its hamiltonian is automatically gotten?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific and give a specific example?

In general, you can get to the Hamiltonian formulation of the same theory by applying the Legendre transform (which is what I assume that you mean) to your Lagrangian. In order for this to work, the Legendre transform needs to exist, which in turn requires the Lagrangian to be a convex function of the time derivative of your generalised coordinates.
 
Orodruin said:
Can you be more specific and give a specific example?

In general, you can get to the Hamiltonian formulation of the same theory by applying the Legendre transform (which is what I assume that you mean) to your Lagrangian. In order for this to work, the Legendre transform needs to exist, which in turn requires the Lagrangian to be a convex function of the time derivative of your generalised coordinates.
Ah, sorry. Legendre transformation. That was what I meant. But doesn't it always exist?
 
Narasoma said:
Ah, sorry. Legendre transformation. That was what I meant. But doesn't it always exist?
No. See the wikipedia page.