Handling a Criminal Record During Co-Op: Seeking Advice and Solutions

  • Thread starter Thread starter General_Sax
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
General_Sax
Messages
445
Reaction score
0
Firstly, I have spoken to both my Co-Op director and the director (chair?) for the second year engineering program.

I have a criminal record. I didn't realize that this would cause such problems in the following areas: finding a Co-Op position (who knew that they would do security checks on Co-Op students) and licensing.

I was under the impression that after I was pardoned no one would care about my record. However, my 2nd year director had a very "negative" vibe about my record, saying that this record -- even if pardoned -- could cause problems with licensing. He even went so far as to suggest that I transfer out of engineering. However, I don't believe that the regulatory organization will have access to my sealed record... but what if I'm wrong? what if they do? What if I study for years only to be told that I can never become a licensed engineer? damn.

Co-Op
----------------

I have a problem getting into Co-Op position because of reasons earlier stated. I've talked to the Co-Op director about transferring out of the program... he will not allow it and will not compromise unless an offer is rescinded because of my record. I've looked into re-sequencing my work and academic terms, and the only thing that will work is if I end up having a years worth of work terms... I don't like this idea AT ALL.

So, I've been considering a transfer to CompSci. I think I will enjoy this program more than Chemical Engineering -- I don't dream of mixing chemicals in vats at night. Who knows? I might be able to get into game/AI design if I play my cards right.

Just looking for general advice and or similar stories... really stressing out here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't make any big decisions based on that director's "negative vibe". I suggest you contact the NCEES (the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying), they may know better how a criminal record would affect licensing.

http://www.ncees.org/Home.php

Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator: