Hands of a Clock Constant Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the hands of a clock have a constant velocity or if they are accelerating. The answer is determined to be that the hands are constantly changing direction, therefore constantly changing velocity, and thus accelerating. This means that answer d is the correct answer and there is no mistake. The concept of uniform circular motion is also explained as an example of direction changing without a change in speed.
WriterTyper
Hi Folks,

What I have here is a multiple choice question from a practice test. I believe there to be two right answers but the answer key says there's only 1. I'm not looking for anyone to do my homework for me, I just think there is a mistake. Here we go:

The hands of a clock _______.

a) have a constant velocity c) constantly change speed
b) have no momentum d) are accelerating

Now I know for sure that d is correct because there is a diagram of this very question in the book! Any object when has a change in it's motion is accelerating, regardless of speed.

BUT...aren't the hands of a clock going in a constant speed and direction? So wouldn't they have a constantly velocity? Meaning that "a" is right as well? I thought that moving in a circular path was considered to be constant direction and hence, with constant speed, to mean constant velocity.

If I'm wrong please explain why...this has been bothering me for a few hours.

Thanks!
WT

Physics news on Phys.org
WriterTyper said:
Now I know for sure that d is correct because there is a diagram of this very question in the book! Any object when has a change in it's motion is accelerating, regardless of speed.
Acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of velocity. Whenever the velocity changes, there's an acceleration.
BUT...aren't the hands of a clock going in a constant speed and direction?
Are they? What direction does the hand move when pointing at 12 versus when pointing at 6?
So wouldn't they have a constantly velocity? Meaning that "a" is right as well? I thought that moving in a circular path was considered to be constant direction and hence, with constant speed, to mean constant velocity.
While the speed doesn't change for uniform circular motion, the direction is constantly changing. Imagine someone running around a circular track at constant speed. Are they always going in the same direction?

Ah ha, thanks Doc Al. So the hands are constantly changing direction, and hence constantly changing velocity. And since the velocity is constantly changing, the hands are accelerating. D is the only answer: there is no mistake.

So can we say that a perfect circular movement is, in a way, the complete opposite of constant velocity?

Thanks again,
WT

Last edited:
WriterTyper said:
So can we say that a perfect circular movement is, in a way, the complete opposite of constant velocity?
I'm not sure what 'complete opposite' would mean, but it's definitely not constant velocity. Velocity can change in two ways: the speed can change or the direction can change (or both). Uniform circular motion is an example of just direction changing.

Hello WT,

You are correct in your thinking that the hands of a clock have a constant velocity. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. In the case of a clock, the hands are moving at a constant speed in a circular path, but their direction is constantly changing. This means that their velocity is also constantly changing, even though their speed remains the same.

The answer key may be referring to the fact that the hands of a clock do not have a constant linear velocity, as they are moving in a circular path. However, in physics, velocity refers to the instantaneous rate of change of an object's position, so the hands of a clock do have a constant velocity at any given moment in time.

I hope this explanation helps clear up any confusion. Keep up the good thinking!

1. What is the definition of "constant velocity" in terms of a clock's hands?

Constant velocity refers to the movement of a clock's hands at a steady and unchanging speed, without any acceleration or deceleration.

2. How does the concept of "constant velocity" apply to a clock's hands?

The hands of a clock move at a constant velocity because they cover the same distance in the same amount of time for each rotation. This means that each hand moves at a steady rate, regardless of the size or position of the clock.

3. What factors contribute to maintaining a constant velocity for a clock's hands?

The main factor that contributes to maintaining a constant velocity for a clock's hands is the mechanism of the clock itself. This mechanism is designed to ensure that the hands move at a consistent speed, even as they rotate around the clock face. Other factors, such as the weight and balance of the hands, also play a role in maintaining constant velocity.

4. Is it possible for a clock's hands to have a non-constant velocity?

Yes, it is possible for a clock's hands to have a non-constant velocity. This can occur if there is a malfunction in the clock's mechanism or if the hands are manually moved at different speeds. However, in a properly functioning clock, the hands should always move at a constant velocity.

5. Why is the concept of "constant velocity" important in the study of clocks?

The concept of "constant velocity" is important in the study of clocks because it helps us understand the precise and consistent nature of timekeeping. By maintaining a constant velocity, a clock's hands can accurately measure the passage of time, making it a crucial aspect of timekeeping devices.