Hanging mass on a massless pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual question about a problem involving two blocks connected by a rope over a pulley. The question involves setting the forces of friction equal and understanding the different values of tension and weight for the two blocks. The expert advises that assuming the second block's acceleration is negative is necessary for finding the correct answer and clarifies that there is only one force of friction in this scenario.
kasnay
Homework Statement
A 3.5kg block is on a tabletop and is attached by a string to hanging block of mass 2.8 kg. The blocks are released from rest and allowed to move freely. If the table has a coefficient of friction of 0.4

A) Find the Acceleration
Relevant Equations
fnet x and fnet y
I have a conceptual question about this problem.
I can write the 3.5 kg block equation as Fnet(block 1)=(Force of tension)-(Force of friction)=m1a
I can write the 2.8 kg block as Fnet(block 2)=(Force of tension)-(Force of gravity2)=m2a

My question is this
If I set the forces of friction equal I get the wrong answer. However If I assume the fnet of block 2 is negative (because its going to fall) I get the correct answer.
Why do I need to assume the second block fnet is negative? Shouldnt the math already account for what needs to happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the same symbol ##a## for the acceleration of both blocks. That means you are assuming the two blocks have the same acceleration - including the sign of their acceleration. If you take the positive direction for block 1 to be in the direction of the tension force acting on block 1, then what must be the positive direction for block 2 (downward or upward)?

Likes Lnewqban
kasnay said:
I can write the 2.8 kg block as Fnet(block 2)=(Force of tension)-(Force of gravity2)=m2a

My question is this
If I set the forces of friction equal I get the wrong answer.
How can tension and weight of mass 2 have different values?
How those two compare if you screw mass 1 to the table?

You mention forces of friction, but there is only one, if mass 2 is freely hanging from the pulley.

1. How does a massless pulley affect the hanging mass?

A massless pulley does not have any mass, so it does not add any additional weight to the hanging mass. It simply redirects the force of gravity acting on the mass, allowing it to move more easily.

2. What is the purpose of using a massless pulley in an experiment?

A massless pulley is often used in experiments to reduce the effects of friction and to simplify calculations. It allows for a more accurate measurement of the force acting on the hanging mass.

3. Can a massless pulley really exist?

In theory, a massless pulley can exist as it is a hypothetical concept used in physics. However, in reality, all pulleys have some mass, even if it is very small.

4. How does the hanging mass affect the pulley system?

The hanging mass affects the pulley system by exerting a force on the pulley, causing it to rotate. This rotation then allows for the movement of the hanging mass.

5. Are there any limitations to using a massless pulley in experiments?

While a massless pulley can simplify calculations, it does not accurately represent real-world scenarios. In reality, all pulleys have some mass and friction, which can affect the results of an experiment. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations when using a massless pulley in experiments.