Accelerating pulleys (3 pulleys and 3 masses)

In summary, the blocks are accelerating downward at the acceleration of 3kg, then I exerted a "ghost force" on that system that works upward and it works on m1 with magnitude of 3kga* and on m2 with magnitude of 2kga*.
Yossi33
Homework Statement
newtons second law and multiple pulley problem.
Relevant Equations
f=ma
hi,i have this question :
m1=3kg m2=6kg m3=20kg
there is no friction between m3 and the floor.
what is the acceleration of each block?

my attempt is :
the pulley that moves is moving downward at the acceleration of m3.
so the system of m1,m2 is moving downward at the acceleration of m3, then i exerted a "ghost force" on that system that works upward and it works on m1 with magnitude of m1a* and on m2 with magnitude m2a*

then i solved their acceleration as they are not in accelerating system:
m2g-T-m2a*=m2a (1)
T+m1a*-m1g=m1a (2)
the moving pulley is 2T=T* (3)
and of m3 ----> T*=m3a* (6)

if i add 1 +2 --> m2g-m2a*+m1a*-m1g=(m1+m2)a
(m2-m1)g-(m2-m1)a*=(m1+m2)a / divide by (m2-m1)
g-a*=(m1+m2)/(m2-m1) multiply a
g-a*=3a (4)

then i subtitue (4) in (2) ----> T=m1(a-a*+g)
T=3(g/3 -a*/3 -a* +g)
T=4g-4a* (5)
subtitue (5) and (6) in (4)
8g-8a*=m3a*
8g=28a*
a*=8g/28 (7)

subtitue (7) in (4) ---> g/3-8g/78=a

i don't have answers, so please tell me if I am wrong and if i am, then how should i solve this. thank you

20211203_000900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your calculations are correct, except I believe the 78 in the last line of the calculation should be 84. Note that ##a## is the magnitude of the acceleration of ##m_1## and ##m_2## in the frame moving with the falling pulley. You still need to find the accelerations of ##m_1## and ##m_2## relative to the lab frame.

The "ghost" force is often called a "fictitious" force.

Last edited:
Likes Yossi33 and BvU
It seems to me your equations 1 and 2 are correct.

Likes Yossi33
The magnitude i got is a*=2.8=a3
And a=2.33=a13=a23(a1 and a2 relative to m3)

So acceleration of m1 relative to the ground is a1=-a13 + a3 ------》 a1=-2.8+2.33=0.47
And a2=a23+a3 ----》a2=2.8+2.33=5.133
?

Thanks for your help

Those numbers agree with what I got. You should include units and indicate the direction of each acceleration.

Nice work.

Likes Yossi33
Thanks for your help

1. How does an accelerating pulley system work?

An accelerating pulley system is a mechanical device that uses multiple pulleys and masses to transfer and amplify force. As the masses move, the pulleys rotate, causing the force to be distributed among the different parts of the system. This allows for a smaller input force to produce a larger output force.

2. What is the purpose of using multiple pulleys in an accelerating pulley system?

The use of multiple pulleys in an accelerating pulley system allows for the force to be distributed and amplified. This means that a smaller input force can produce a larger output force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

3. How do the masses affect the acceleration of the pulley system?

The masses in an accelerating pulley system play a crucial role in determining the acceleration of the system. The larger the masses, the greater the force required to accelerate them. This means that a greater input force is needed to accelerate the system and produce a larger output force.

4. Is there a limit to the number of pulleys and masses that can be used in an accelerating pulley system?

There is no specific limit to the number of pulleys and masses that can be used in an accelerating pulley system. However, as the number of pulleys and masses increases, the complexity of the system also increases. This can make it more difficult to calculate and control the acceleration and forces involved.

5. How does friction affect the performance of an accelerating pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the performance of an accelerating pulley system. It can reduce the efficiency of the system by converting some of the input force into heat, and it can also affect the accuracy of the acceleration and forces involved. Minimizing friction is important in order to maximize the performance of the system.