Happy Europe Day | Celebrating the European Community & ESA

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe
In summary, the conversation involves members of the European Community and ESA discussing various holidays and celebrations, including Europe Day and Liberation Day. There is also mention of Victory Day in Eastern Europe. Some members make jokes about offending others and politically correct behavior, while others discuss the history of European conflicts and the tradition of celebrating them. The conversation also includes references to Disney pins and badges.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
To all EU PFers, or is that PF EUers,

Have a nice day! :cool:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/sites/Q10508.html

The European Community and ESA share a common aim: to strengthen Europe and benefit its citizens.

I hope the government works better there than it does in the US. :rolleyes: :yuck: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Astronuc

What's Europe? Is it that state on the East Coast where Wolly and Vanesch live?

Math Is Hard said:

:rofl: :rofl:

Ah. Well, Hola! to my favorite EU nation.

Math Is Hard said:

What, you have never (done) Europe, i think most Americans do it in a week
so it can not be that big, i live on the little bit that looks like it has broken
of the big bit.

Europe day?

Goede morgen :smile:

What in the world is Europe day?

Pengwuino said:
What in the world is Europe day?
I have no idea, but I'm sure our president of Europe will let us know later...

Do you guys normally just randomly make up holidays?

Pengwuino said:
Do you guys normally just randomly make up holidays?
We had Queen's Day the other weekend - everyone dresses up in orange and gets terribly drunk :biggrin:

And Liberation Day last Firday, to celebrate when the English knocked the stuffing out of Hitler and his boys.

J77 said:
We had Queen's Day the other weekend - everyone dresses up in orange and gets terribly drunk :biggrin:

We have that day. It's called Saturday.

J77 said:
And Liberation Day last Firday, to celebrate when the English knocked the stuffing out of Hitler and his boys.

We're not allowed to have holidays like that because we might offend someone.

Pengwuino said:
Shame.

Everyone round my way had orange WWII-style helmuts on - getting ready for the summer of offensive behaviour, ie. the World Cup :biggrin:

(You can also buy t-shirts with a Dutch footballer wiping his arse on a German flag on them :biggrin: )

It's not *seriously* offensive tho' - my German mates give as good as they get :cool:

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
We have that day. It's called Saturday.

You have tea parties.

Astronuc said:
Also, Happy Victory Day to those observing/celebrating it. I wonder if that is politically correct. That would be like people in the US observing/celebrating the end of the Civil War. Hmmm.
Liberation Day - see my post above :smile:

Of course it's politically correct - after all, in the words of HRH Basil Fawlty: "They started it" :biggrin: :wink: :tongue:

Astronuc said:
Also, Happy Victory Day to those observing/celebrating it. I wonder if that is politically correct. That would be like people in the US observing/celebrating the end of the Civil War. Hmmm.

It's a European thing that dates back to the 19th century "Blimey, we had a jolly good scrap there! My worth, your grandfather shot my grandfather in the bum at Ypers? Capital! Let's have a pint or two!" :biggrin:

Dimitri Terryn said:
"Blimey, we had a jolly good scrap there! My worth, your grandfather shot my grandfather in the bum at Ypers? Capital! Let's have a pint or two!" :biggrin:
What a spiffing idea!

:biggrin:

Astronuc said:
To all EU PFers, or is that PF EUers,

Have a nice day! :cool:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/sites/Q10508.html

I hope the government works better there than it does in the US. :rolleyes: :yuck: :rofl:

Sorry, Astronuc. This is not an official "day" because Disney hasn't released a pin to commemorate it.

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Sorry, Astronuc. This is not an official "day" because Disney hasn't released a pin to commemorate it.
I hear you can buy badges tho' :biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

ZapperZ said:

:)

Zz.
Euro Disney doesn't have a pin??!

We must correct this major faux pas immediately! :biggrin:

What is Europe Day and why is it celebrated?

Europe Day is an annual observance that celebrates the creation of the European Union and the achievements of European unity. It is celebrated on May 9th, the anniversary of the Schuman Declaration, which proposed the creation of a united Europe.

What is the European Community and what is its purpose?

The European Community, also known as the European Community of Coal and Steel, was the precursor to the European Union. It was created in 1951 with the goal of integrating the economies of European countries to promote peace and prosperity.

What is the role of the European Space Agency (ESA) in Europe Day?

The European Space Agency (ESA) is a key contributor to Europe Day as it represents the scientific and technological achievements of the European Union. ESA works to facilitate cooperation and collaboration among European countries in space research and exploration.

What are some notable accomplishments of the European Union and ESA?

Some notable accomplishments of the European Union and ESA include the development of the Galileo satellite navigation system, the launch of the Ariane rocket, and the successful missions to Mars and the International Space Station.

How can individuals and communities get involved in celebrating Europe Day?

Individuals and communities can get involved in celebrating Europe Day by attending local events and activities, learning about the history and achievements of the European Union and ESA, and participating in discussions about the future of Europe and its space exploration efforts.