Happy Pi Day! Country Apple Pie is Yum!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
30 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.
 
I thought it was about 3.14159265358979... when I saw the title.
 
PhysicoRaj said:
I thought it was about 3.14159265358979... when I saw the title.

It is, but Greg is hungry, and when he sees "pi", he immediately thinks of "pie".

Besides, pie is tastier than pi.

Zz.
 
I like strawberry pi's than strawberry pies.
 
Gasp- it's pi day!

*dork swoon*
 
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

We better savor it...the pie that is :biggrin:. I don't know what to do about pi...I'll find some circles and calculate their geometric properties :rolleyes:
 
Yanick said:
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.
 
Yanick said:
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime

 
ZapperZ said:
Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.
:smile:
 
Isn't Pi Day on April 31 (31/4) in Europe?

Oh wait, there's no April 31. :rolleyes:
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
What is your favorite pie?

Pizza! :!)

I went to my favorite pizza place yesterday... should have waited until today.
 
I remember the first couple of word-length mnemonics I learned about pi:
"How I wish I could calculate pi"
"How I like a drink, alcoholic of course,
after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics"
 
Daj o pani, o boska Mnemozyno, pi liczbę, którą też zowią ludolfiną
 
jtbell said:
Pizza! :!)

There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex]\pi[/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex]\pi[/itex] at all. :cry:

*(If you have a pizza of radius z, and depth a, the volume of the pizza is πz2a, or expressing it a different way,
V = pi·zz·a.)
 
ZapperZ said:
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.

Ex - Village Inn Restaurant

:cry:
 
dlgoff said:

What not another one? My wife and I used to go to a Village Inn that recently closed. I don't think that they ever won over the younger generation. Every time my son went there to eat with us he would say: "this is like eating in a nursing home."

I did noticed that he always finished his piece of French silk pie, however.
 
Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.

"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:
 
edward said:
"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:

Then that is what we should use to spread the news about the calamity that will fall on us next year on pi day! As simple as that! We start with something that says that there's impending forecast that day where it will be overcast, with a chance of pi in the sky.

Zz.
 
collinsmark said:
There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex]\pi[/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex]\pi[/itex] at all. :cry:

There's a chain of pizzerias in the St. Louis area that has pi in their name and logo, at least:

Pi Pizzeria

I'll have to try to remember to check it out if I ever I drive through that area again.
 
We have some clever young engineers here at work. Our project group received this e-mail just before 2PM from three of them:

3.14 1:59. Pie & Ice cream in the Pantry by the printer. Enjoy.

:biggrin:
 
berkeman said:
We have some clever young engineers here at work. Our project group received this e-mail just before 2PM from three of them:

3.14 1:59. Pie & Ice cream in the Pantry by the printer. Enjoy.

:biggrin:
I guess that next year's party will be in the morning at 3/14/15 9:26:53?

I really need to put that on my calendar.
 
ZapperZ said:
Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.

That's the date when the solar solar system becomes a perfect circle and the gravity does some scientific nonsense and the universe implodes.

And if nothing happens, I can just say I was mistaken, and that it actually happens on 3/14/159.
 
leroyjenkens said:
And if nothing happens, I can just say I was mistaken, and that it actually happens on 3/14/159.

:biggrin:
 
jtbell said:
Isn't Pi Day on April 31 (31/4) in Europe?

Oh wait, there's no April 31. :rolleyes:

We have the pi month and its the only one in the century.
- Enigman
(Date: 15th pi)
 
Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Then that is what we should use to spread the news about the calamity that will fall on us next year on pi day! As simple as that! We start with something that says that there's impending forecast that day where it will be overcast, with a chance of pi in the sky.

Zz.

It falls on 21st pi.
:devil: