I want to leave my country for further studies and life

In summary, the person is considering moving to a sunny country where most people use public transportation because they have SAD. They are also considering learning a new language. However, they do not want to stay in Nepal because everyone is leaving the country and they will probably be the only person remaining.
shivajikobardan
But the problem is that I can't drive a car in road. I've not tried to learn it yet, but I've tried to learn motorcycle and I've partially succeeded till now. So, I'm handicapped basically. I want to move abroad to a country, a place where most people use public transportation. The country needs to have be a sunny country as I've SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder) as well. Each day I pass in Nepal, I regret being here. All my friends are moving abroad to the USA, Australia, Canada. But since USA , Australia, Canada require cars heavily, that's out of question for me.

I'm ready to learn a new language.

I just don't want to stay in Nepal. Any country will be fine. No India and China. But europe.
Can you recommend any countries for me?

Sorry if this is off topic but I'm really in stress because everyone is leaving this country and I will probably be only guy who'll be staying here. That too, not because of my choice but because of my forced reason of not knowing driving. I don't need great public transportation, just something that works is enough for me.

I'm a computer engineering graduate. I want to pursue masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering or Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
But since USA , Australia, Canada require cars heavily, that's out of question for me.
At least in the US, if you live in a major metro area, you don't need a car. Same holds for many locations that are basically university towns. So your premise is not correct (at least in the US).

The first question - are you expecting someone else to pay for your Masters? That will severely limit your options. You might not get everything on your wish list.

The next question - most country's immigration policies revolve around the question "what can you do for us?" Have you considered how you will answer that? A computer engineer with a degree from a developing country with coding skills that are still developing is not exactly a rare commodity.

The US has a lottery that does not look at such factors, however, they take 1-3% of applicants. (that is, they reject 97-99%).

If SAD requires you to live in a more equatorial location (to mitigate the short days in winter), you have only two major cities to choose from: Honolulu and Darwin.

And everyone who knows how to drive a car started off not knowing how.

shivajikobardan said:
Vanadium 50 said:
If SAD requires you to live in a more equatorial location (to mitigate the short days in winter), you have only two major cities to choose from: Honolulu and Darwin.
What about Singapore (they have good universities) or UAE (NYU, Heriot-Watt, and Rochester Institute of Technology have campuses there)?

Vanadium 50 said:
The first question - are you expecting someone else to pay for your Masters? That will severely limit your options. You might not get everything on your wish list.

The next question - most country's immigration policies revolve around the question "what can you do for us?" Have you considered how you will answer that? A computer engineer with a degree from a developing country with coding skills that are still developing is not exactly a rare commodity.

The US has a lottery that does not look at such factors, however, they take 1-3% of applicants. (that is, they reject 97-99%).

And everyone who knows how to drive a car started off not knowing how.
What do you suggest? I'm quite frustrated in Nepal. Everyday I wake up hating this country. And scared about future. It disgusts that I am here. My goal is to move abroad if possible.

advhaver said:
What about Singapore (they have good universities) or UAE (NYU, Heriot-Watt, and Rochester Institute of Technology have campuses there)?
I think Nepal is better place to live than Arabic countries.

Unless you have a physical handicap (eg, blindness) I am sure you can learn how to drive.

shivajikobardan said:
What do you suggest?
I think if you don't ease off on your requirements, you need to get used to the idea of living in Nepal.,

Your geographic requirements, for example exclude 99.95% of your target area (by population).

You are also likely going to have to decide between two things you don't want to do, such as staying in Nepal vs. for example, joining the French military. (Where they will teach you French, and how to drive a car, and provide a path to French citizenship in three years)

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I looked more carefully at a map, and the southern part of the Florida peninsula (starting a little south of Orlando( and a tiny bit if Texas is also in the target region.

Vanadium 50 said:
I looked more carefully at a map, and the southern part of the Florida peninsula (starting a little south of Orlando( and a tiny bit if Texas is also in the target region.
According to this website,

https://www.movehub.com/blog/the-sunniest-cities-in-the-world/

if you want sunny days, go to Arizona.

My understanding of SAD is that it's the short days in the winter that are the trigger. Got a friend in Norway, and they have terrible mental health problems in winter. There aren't many places on the list more equatorial than Nepal. Certainly not Canada.

Learning to drive is much easier than learning a language. The whole driving thing is a red herring unless OP has some reason they are incapable of learning to drive.

Haborix said:
Learning to drive is much easier than learning a language. The whole driving thing is a red herring unless OP has some reason they are incapable of learning to drive.
It is a red herring. As I mentioned above, in the US, a car is simply not needed if you primarily want to study here. Most major metro areas have public transportation. As do many college towns. And larger campuses are fairly self-contained; you can walk to most of your destinations.

CrysPhys said:
It is a red herring.
Do they come in any other colors?

I was trying to think of a place that is impractical without a car. (And getting a license is normally not a huge hurdle). Some are more convenient than others - the worst I can think of would be maybe UT Arlington. Georgia Tech?

The theme seems to be that if you live out in the hinterlands to save housing costs, you usually have fewer transportation options. It's rare that you can't get to the university - it might just be slow and inconvenient.

I lived without a car most of the time while I was studying for a PhD at the U of Michigan (Ann Arbor), because I didn't want to take on the expense of owning a car. I lived about 2 km from my office. To get around town, I mostly walked and bicycled, and sometimes used the local bus system. I occasionally visited Detroit by bus or train, and used local buses while there. I used buses to visit my parents in my home town in Ohio; while there I drove one of their cars, because I knew how to drive (got my driver's license in high school).

My roommate during most of that time did have a car. We did weekly grocery-shopping trips together in it, which made things a bit easier for me. Otherwise I did more frequent grocery trips on my bicycle.

As regards SAD, you'll have to look up weather statistics for different places and evaluate them for yourself. I grew up in northern Ohio and went to grad school in Michigan and never had a problem with it, but that probably just shows that I'm not susceptible to SAD. Usually when I read about SAD it's in connection with places like the Pacific Northwest (e.g. Seattle) which is famously gloomy, or New England.

Last edited:
Likes advhaver
Vanadium 50 said:
I was trying to think of a place that is impractical without a car. (And getting a license is normally not a huge hurdle). Some are more convenient than others - the worst I can think of would be maybe UT Arlington. Georgia Tech?

The theme seems to be that if you live out in the hinterlands to save housing costs, you usually have fewer transportation options. It's rare that you can't get to the university - it might just be slow and inconvenient.
I'm sure someone can cite exceptions. But I think the only category (in the US) in which a car is essential is one that does not apply to the OP: a suburban community college. Community colleges do not have on-campus housing; and if you're in a suburban, rather than metro, area, public transportation will be limited or non-existent. Otherwise, full-fledged universities and colleges I'm familiar with have dorms for grad students as well as undergrad students. Not the best living quarters, but tolerable.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes symbolipoint
shivajikobardan said:
But the problem is that I can't drive a car in road. I've not tried to learn it yet, but I've tried to learn motorcycle and I've partially succeeded till now. So, I'm handicapped basically. I want to move abroad to a country, a place where most people use public transportation. The country needs to have be a sunny country as I've SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder) as well. Each day I pass in Nepal, I regret being here. All my friends are moving abroad to the USA, Australia, Canada. But since USA , Australia, Canada require cars heavily, that's out of question for me.

I'm ready to learn a new language.

I just don't want to stay in Nepal. Any country will be fine. No India and China. But europe.

Sorry if this is off topic but I'm really in stress because everyone is leaving this country and I will probably be only guy who'll be staying here. That too, not because of my choice but because of my forced reason of not knowing driving. I don't need great public transportation, just something that works is enough for me.

I'm a computer engineering graduate. I want to pursue masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering or Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In Toronto, one can live, work, and study quite comfortably without a car due to easy access to public transit.

The situation is the same in other large cities in Canada, like Vancouver and Montreal.

So I do not think you should rule out Canada in its entirety, but instead focus on specific areas of Canada where public transit is accessible. The situation is not that different in the US as well.

Last edited:
Likes shivajikobardan
Canada has two issues - one is the SAD exclusion. (Really want to send someone with SAD to Whitehorse or Yellowknife? Or even Edmonton? The southernmost city I can think of is Windsor and that's a full 20 degrees further north than Nepal)

The other is the immigration points system.

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 said:
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In Toronto, one can live, work, and study quite comfortably without a car due to easy access to public transit.

The situation is the same in other large cities in Canada, like Vancouver and Montreal.

So I do not think to rule out Canada in its entirety, but instead focus on specific areas of Canada where public transit is accessible. The situation is not that different in the US as well.
thanks man, I'll think of canada. It's a great destination imo. I'll have to forget my SAD. It's not diagnosed and since homes are heated abroad, I don't think I will get any problems. I live in Kathmandu of Nepal and the public transportation isn't GREAT(I know you guys might be thinking if public transportation in kathmandu is great because of my post). It works. I can get within 2hrs to most part of the city where most companies are located. That's all I want. There is no metro/train in kathmandu. Everything is tempos, public buses, microbuses etc.

Vanadium 50 said:
Canada has two issues - one is the SAD exclusion. (Really want to send someone with SAF to Whitehorse or Yellowknife? Or even Edmonton? The southernmost city I can think of is Windsor and that's a fill 20 degrees further north than Nepal)

The other is the immigration points system.
I'll have to compromise on some thing or other. Plus SAD is undiagnosed and with the technology that west has, I don't think I'd have any problem.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think if you don't ease off on your requirements, you need to get used to the idea of living in Nepal.,

Your geographic requirements, for example exclude 99.95% of your target area (by population).

You are also likely going to have to decide between two things you don't want to do, such as staying in Nepal vs. for example, joining the French military. (Where they will teach you French, and how to drive a car, and provide a path to French citizenship in three years)
I need to ease off my requirements @Vanadium 50 . Thank you.

You may discover that wishing away a medical condition doesn't always work.

(due to several issues, the OP is on vacation from PF for the next 10 days)

Likes Bystander
berkeman said:
(due to several issues, the OP is on vacation from PF for the next 10 days)
Oh. Well I I hope he is ok, he did not sound particularly happy.

pinball1970 said:
Oh. Well I I hope he is ok, he did not sound particularly happy.
I think he's okay, but he has had numerous run-ins with the PF Rules in the time he's been here, and after a while that catches up with you.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
A reconditioned light box with a D65 illuminant
I'm not sure we should be advocating a particular treatment here - especially if he is not seeing a medical professional for this.

Suicide rates vary by a factor of ~2 with latitude. That means that the risk factor for latitude is about the same for all other risk factors put together. I would tread carefully,

• Informative
Likes gmax137, pinball1970 and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure we should be advocating a particular treatment here - especially if he is not seeing a medical professional for this.

Suicide rates vary by a factor of ~2 with latitude. That means that the risk factor for latitude is about the same for all other risk factors put together. I would tread carefully,
Agreed, I was going to adjust but deleted instead. Safer.

shivajikobardan said:
Plus SAD is undiagnosed
You said you were under treatment in Februaru 2022 on MHB. Which is it?

1. Why do you want to leave your country for further studies and life?

There are various reasons why someone may want to leave their country for further studies and life. Some common reasons include seeking better educational opportunities, pursuing a specific career path, experiencing a new culture, or simply wanting a change of scenery.

2. What are the benefits of studying and living abroad?

Studying and living abroad can have numerous benefits, including gaining a global perspective, improving language skills, building a diverse network, and developing independence and adaptability. It can also enhance career opportunities and personal growth.

3. How do I choose the right country and university for my studies?

Choosing the right country and university for your studies depends on your personal preferences, academic goals, and budget. Researching the quality of education, cost of living, and cultural aspects of different countries can help you make an informed decision. It is also important to consider the specific programs and courses offered by universities and their reputation in your field of study.

4. What are the challenges of studying and living abroad?

Studying and living abroad can come with its own set of challenges, such as culture shock, homesickness, language barriers, and adjusting to a new environment. It may also be financially and emotionally taxing. However, these challenges can also lead to personal growth and a sense of accomplishment.

5. How can I prepare for studying and living abroad?

To prepare for studying and living abroad, it is important to research the country and university you will be attending, make a budget, and gather all necessary documents for your visa and enrollment. It can also be helpful to connect with current or former international students for advice and to learn about their experiences. Additionally, learning about the culture and language of your destination can help with the transition.