Harmonic Functions, conjugates and the Hilbert Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific formula for \phi_x and how it can be found using the Hilbert Transform. The author claims that this formula can be applied in various scenarios and suggests using it for solving the problem at hand. The person asking the question is unclear on how the author arrived at this formula and how the Hilbert Transform can be used in this case.
nickthequick
Hi,

I am currently confused about something I've run across in the literature.

Given that
[itex] \nabla^2\phi = \phi_{xx}+\phi_{zz} = 0 [/itex] for [itex] z\in (-\infty, 0] [/itex]

and

[itex] \phi_z = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} |A|^2 [/itex] at z=0.

for [itex] A= a(x)e^{i \theta(x)} [/itex].

The author claims that

[itex] \phi_x = A_xA^*-AA^*_x [/itex] at z=0

and where A* represents the complex conjugate.

The author then claims a more general formula for [itex] \phi_x [/itex] can be found in terms of the Hilbert Transform.

I do not understand how the author finds the expression for [itex] \left.\phi_x\right|_{z=0} [/itex]. Also, although I'm vaguely aware that Hilbert Transforms can be used to find Harmonic conjugates, I don't see how that can be exploited in this case.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
nickthequick said:
Hi,

I am currently confused about something I've run across in the literature.

Given that
[itex] \nabla^2\phi = \phi_{xx}+\phi_{zz} = 0 [/itex] for [itex] z\in (-\infty, 0] [/itex]

and

[itex] \phi_z = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} |A|^2 [/itex] at z=0.

for [itex] A= a(x)e^{i \theta(x)} [/itex].

The author claims that

[itex] \phi_x = A_xA^*-AA^*_x [/itex] at z=0

and where A* represents the complex conjugate.

The author then claims a more general formula for [itex] \phi_x [/itex] can be found in terms of the Hilbert Transform.

I do not understand how the author finds the expression for [itex] \left.\phi_x\right|_{z=0} [/itex]. Also, although I'm vaguely aware that Hilbert Transforms can be used to find Harmonic conjugates, I don't see how that can be exploited in this case.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

What is this publication?

1. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a type of mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which states that the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of the function is equal to zero. In simpler terms, a harmonic function is one that has a constant value of zero at every point within its domain.

2. How are harmonic functions related to conjugates?

In complex analysis, a harmonic function can be expressed as the real part of a complex analytic function, which is known as its conjugate. This means that the conjugate of a harmonic function is another harmonic function that is orthogonal to the original function.

3. What is the significance of the Hilbert Transform in harmonic functions?

The Hilbert Transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a real-valued function into a complex-valued function. In the study of harmonic functions, the Hilbert Transform is important because it allows for the calculation of the conjugate function, which is necessary for solving many problems in complex analysis.

4. How are harmonic functions used in practical applications?

Harmonic functions have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to model physical phenomena such as heat flow and fluid dynamics, and also play a role in the analysis of electrical circuits and signal processing techniques.

5. What are some examples of harmonic functions?

Some common examples of harmonic functions include the electric potential in a region with no electrical charges, acoustic pressure in a region with no sound sources, and temperature in a region with no heat sources. In complex analysis, examples of harmonic functions include the real and imaginary parts of complex exponential functions.