1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic traveling wave physics

1. May 4, 2010 #1

bon

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two semi infinite strings are attached at x=0 and stretched to a tension T. They have linear densities p1 and p2 respectively. A harmonic traveling wave, given in complex form as

Ae^[iw(t-x/v1)] travels along string 1 towards the boundary.

1) Determine the amplitudes of reflected and transmitted waves
    2) Check the amplitudes are such that energy conservation is obeyed in the region x approx = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've done part 1)

I got that A' (amp of refl. wave) = (v2-v1)/(v1+v2) A

and A'' (amp of trans. wave) = 2v2/(v1+v2) A

Just don't see how to do part 2). How do I show energy is conserved in region x approx = 0?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2

bon

Re: Waves

Any one able to offer help on this? I'm also having trouble understanding what it means for the equation to be y = Ae^[iw(t-x/v1)] since this includes complex terms..what is the physical interpretation?

Thanks

4. May 6, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Waves

The solution of the wave equation can be written in exponential form. When you calculate energy, however, you have to turn to the real functions, sine or cosine:

[tex]\sin(x) =\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i} [/tex]

or

[tex]\cos(x) =\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2} [/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook