Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hartz Stay Off Training Aid for Pets

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hartz "Stay Off" Training Aid for Pets

http://www.hartz.com/Our Products/browse.asp?SkuDetail=3270082086.12.3&ActionID=2

We have a new kitten and have been using this to break her of peeing on the carpet, but as far as I can tell, it is worthless. And it turns out that using Woolite upholstery cleaner is much more effective. Once I spray an area of the carpet with this, she won't go anywhere near it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    Yeah, I've heard that about a few of those kinds of spray on pet repellents. That they basically suck. I think we even had one for our dog.

Something with ammonia would be more effective. So like you said cleaners tend to be better.

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Woolite is nice because it is designed to be sprayed on and then allowed to dry. Of course you are then supposed to vacuum, so I can't be sure what will happen when left for a long period of time. I tend to think that any chemical reactions will have stopped, but we will see. We might get some discoloration.

I would be afraid to use something not designed to be put on carpeting. It could cause damage.

5. Jun 21, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Woolite pet carpet cleaner has an ingredient that neutralizes the ammonia and saves the carpet from being destroyed. If you have wool carpet, I'll send you a pair of scissors so you can cut the spot out and turn it over.

I learned a long time ago from having kids GET A STEAM CLEANER.

6. Jun 21, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, but no, it's not wool, and we were planning to replace the carpet soon anyway.

7. Jun 25, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Hartz "Stay Off" Training Aid for Pets

Most, if not all, of those pet/animal repellent products are completely useless.

In my early days in science, I assisted on projects testing deer repellents since we had a captive herd to work with to ensure there would be deer near whatever we sprayed it on (in our case, we got potted shrubs known for getting destroyed by deer from a local nursery, so we could change them out with each new product). We'd put out the control, unsprayed plants, and then ones with either the test product or some product already on the market...the deer would ignore the unsprayed plants and go straight for the "seasoned" ones...that's how we started to refer to those "repellents" as seasoning for the deer.

For pets, they're usually attracted to the urine left behind from previous visits, so breaking them of going someplace they shouldn't means getting rid of that urine scent (so, in contrast to what WarPhalange posted, no, you want to avoid products with ammonia in them at all cost when dealing with pets). That can be tough to do if it has had time to soak through carpet into layers of padding or subflooring. Mostly, you have to clean quickly and thoroughly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?