• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Has anyone else ever gotten in over their head?

So I went a bit overboard this semester and took 4 math courses and a fifth math-based course, and while 80% of the courses went well, one didn't. I took an upper level statistics course because I liked the professor, and it's one of the core courses at my school if you wish to do an honors degree, so I thought I would get it out of the way, since I'd breezed through the introductory course.
Unfortunately, it ended up being over my head at the time. It was only my second stats course and I'm in the process of second year calc, so I ended up struggling and finished with what I hope was a C.
I have a solid A+ in abstract algebra, and A in linear and calc, but I'm worried this kills my chances at doing math above the undergrad level. I heard math students sometimes get over their heads by taking advanced courses too early, is this a big problem?

Seriously? You're worried that one single C is going to "kill your chances" at grad school? I guess it's that time of year again...

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think most students get in over their head at some point in their academic careers. Everyone has a limit; now you know yours.

Well, I still need to be accepted into honors, and that is one of the core courses. I'll be avoiding stats in the future, though. And a C is being generous, since I walked into that exam with a 60%, and didn't do much better, it'll just depend on how much the prof. bumps the class(he already said he would).