1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Has anyone interned with DAAD Rise in Germany?

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    I was accepted to their program and could work with a group doing data analysis. However, I have already accepted another offer at my own school. If anyone has done a RISE internship, how was it? the pay? the experience? Germany?
    I have to accept by tomorrow and am not sure what to do.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2
    Sorry I can't give specifics because I haven't personally done the program; however, a friend of mine did the program and she really liked it. She said it paid well. She liked it so much, that she's applying for graduate schools in Germany instead of continuing out our home institution in the US.

Definitely look into the project and learn about the persons you may be working with. I think those can have a substantial impact on your experience, and it'll make other factors like pay or prestige matter a lot less (although I have heard of DAAD and I am thinking it's one of the reputable ones). I hope this helps!

4. Mar 17, 2016 #3
    When were you notified of your acceptance?

5. Mar 17, 2016 #4
    Hey thanks post, I'll definitely take it into consideration. I heard yesterday I was accepted.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    Hi, I did the DAAD RISE program last summer. You probably already made your decision, but if you accepted let me know if you want any advice on living and working in Germany!

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6
    Hey,
    I ended up staying at my school. But how was the program?

8. Apr 1, 2016 #7
    I had a really great experience! I was working on data analysis for flavor tagging at LHCb. Everyone in the lab I was working in was very friendly and we often had social events like staying in late on Wednesdays for pizza and a 60km bike trip to the head professor's house for a barbecue. There were three other RISE students in the lab as well. The research and group meetings were all done in English, but knowing German did help with daily life in Germany of course. I study German and Physics so it was a really great way to combine my two fields and get great research experience and professional contacts around the world. I also took a weekend trip to Geneva to visit CERN!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted