Has anyone read "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide"?

In summary, "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" by Professor Wolfgang K. H. Panofsky is a comprehensive book that covers the principles and applications of covariant electrodynamics. It is suitable for readers with a basic understanding of electromagnetism and calculus, and includes clear explanations and examples. It stands out for its focus on the covariant formulation of electromagnetism and can serve as a valuable reference for researchers in the field.
andresB
There is only one review of this book in amazon so I'm hesitant to order it. It is a good book? what make it different than other books that cover the topic like the one of Landau or Melvin Schwartz's ?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I picked it up at a Half Price Books on a whim, I thought it was OK given I spent less than $8 on it.

Likes Demystifier
Hard to resist at that price.

1. What is "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" about?

"Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" is a book that discusses the principles and applications of covariant electrodynamics, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. Who is the author of "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide"?

The author of "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" is Dr. John D. Jackson, a renowned physicist and professor emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley.

3. Is "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" suitable for beginners?

No, "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" is not suitable for beginners. It is a complex and advanced text that assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics.

4. What makes "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" a valuable resource for scientists?

"Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" is a valuable resource for scientists because it provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of covariant electrodynamics, covering both theoretical foundations and practical applications. It also includes numerous exercises and examples to aid in understanding and applying the concepts.

5. Can "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" be used as a textbook for a course?

Yes, "Covariant Electrodynamics: A Concise Guide" can be used as a textbook for a course on covariant electrodynamics or as a supplementary text for advanced courses in electromagnetism or theoretical physics.