Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has it been proven that all rational numbers repeat ...

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    in every radixial representation, except of course for those cases in which the numerator is a factor of some natural-number power of the radix?

For the radixial system we know (i.e., because we are bilateral and have arms that have 5 fingers), this would mean that any possible natural number that does not have 2 or 5 as factor (which if it did have such a factor would mean that it is a factor of some number 10n) must be a factor of some number 9999 ...., and of course mean something similar for a radixial number of any radix?

(I am probably using some improper terminology, including the term radixial, but I think folks understand what I mean here - i.e., as a generic term for a number that is in decimal, hexadecimal, binary, etc.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the process of division of one integer m by a coprime integer n, using some base b, at each step there is a remainder less than n. So in n steps or fewer, this remainder must recur. All of the resulting digits will therefore recur from that point, ad infinitum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook