Hausdorffness of the product topology

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32
[SOLVED] Hausdorffness of the product topology

Is it me, or is the product of an infinite number of Hausdorff spaces never Hausdorff?

Recall that the product topology on

[tex]\Pi_{i\in I}X_i[/tex]

has for a basis the products of open sets

[tex]\Pi_{i\in I}O_i[/tex]

where all but finitely many of those O_i are not the whole X_i.

---

say I is countable for simplicity and consider x=(x1,...) and y=(y1,...) two distinct points in the product space. I don't see how we can find two ngbh of x and y that do not intersect!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hausdorff, given either the product topology or box topology. This has been proven here before. The converse is true as well (though mathwonk remarked that the product must not be empty).
 
I found the thread thx.
 
Last edited:
But it seems to deal only with the converse.

Given any 2 open set of the basis containing x and y resp., since infinitely many O_i are X_i in both ngbh, they will always have a huge intersection. Is this not the case?
 
Ask yourself this question: Is there anything in [itex]\emptyset \times X \times X \times \cdots[/itex]?