Have an internship interview this Thursday

In summary, this physics major is applying to an engineering internship. He recommends researching the position and preparing questions of your own. He also recommends being positive and having good communication skills.
Shackleford
My physics professor referred me to an engineering internship. Obviously, I sent my resume and everything already. I'm a physics major, by the way. Any advice for the interview? I'd really like to get this position. It's a part-time job assisting the project engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read up as much as you can on the project and the field so you can discuss it intelligently.

Try to prepare a few questions of your own, keeping in mind that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

Shackleford said:
My physics professor referred me to an engineering internship. Obviously, I sent my resume and everything already. I'm a physics major, by the way. Any advice for the interview? I'd really like to get this position. It's a part-time job assisting the project engineer.

My usual advice on interviews is for you to take some things along from some projects you've worked on in the past. If you've built hobby electronics projects, take them and the documentation along. If you've done previous internship or lab work, take the documentation along.

I prefer to talk about things that a candidate has actual experience in during an interview, rather than ask boilerplate EE questions. The reason is, if it really is something they've worked on, then I can expect them to understand it in detail, so I can ask as detailed questions as I want. If you show me a schematic of a radio or uC circuit that you've built, we are going to get into a lot of details about how things work and why they work that way.

Not all interviewers will necessarily want to talk about your previous project work, but many/most will at least let you tell them briefly about them. And it will make you stand out among the other candidtates -- you will be the practical one with some useful, proven skills that the project engineer can take advantage of.

Have fun!

berkeman said:
My usual advice on interviews is for you to take some things along from some projects you've worked on in the past. If you've built hobby electronics projects, take them and the documentation along. If you've done previous internship or lab work, take the documentation along.

I prefer to talk about things that a candidate has actual experience in during an interview, rather than ask boilerplate EE questions. The reason is, if it really is something they've worked on, then I can expect them to understand it in detail, so I can ask as detailed questions as I want. If you show me a schematic of a radio or uC circuit that you've built, we are going to get into a lot of details about how things work and why they work that way.

Not all interviewers will necessarily want to talk about your previous project work, but many/most will at least let you tell them briefly about them. And it will make you stand out among the other candidtates -- you will be the practical one with some useful, proven skills that the project engineer can take advantage of.

Have fun!

This would actually be my very first internship. Though, I was a state- and NICET-licensed fire alarm technician for a few years. That's really about all the "technical" work experience I have.

I was an intern for almost all of my undergrad. The top two things most people look for when hiring an engineer intern is some one that is competent and has the ability to learn quickly. Don't paint yourself as a know it all (like me :approve:) but just as some one who will work hard and will be easy to work with.

Hey, just have fun with it.

I'm sure you've researched the position some, it won't be difficult work.

When you interview, make sure that your experiences can related to the questions they ask.

There is only so much you can prepare, the rest you have to wing. The point being telling them what they want to hear.

And perfect answers are:

I believe my abilities will be a good fit for your engineering position.
or
My goal is to fit my ability and experience with your needs, and I believe I'm the right person for this position.

If they ask 'How', make damn sure you've prepared something in your experience that will pertain to this position. And stay positive about your previous jobs.

I have a phone interview this coming Friday, during my normal sleep hours.. as I work at night.. should be exciting.

1. What should I wear to an internship interview?

It is important to dress professionally for an internship interview. This shows that you take the opportunity seriously and are prepared to make a good impression. A suit or business attire is appropriate for most internship interviews.

2. What should I bring to an internship interview?

You should bring a copy of your resume, a notepad and pen for taking notes, and any relevant documents or materials that may be requested during the interview. It is also a good idea to have a list of questions prepared to ask the interviewer.

3. How should I prepare for an internship interview?

It is important to research the company and the position you are applying for before the interview. This will allow you to ask informed questions and show your interest in the company. Practice answering common interview questions with a friend or family member and make sure to arrive early on the day of the interview.

4. What types of questions can I expect in an internship interview?

You can expect a mix of general and specific questions about your background, skills, and experience. You may also be asked behavioral or situational questions to assess how you would handle certain situations. It is important to answer questions honestly and confidently.

5. How can I make a good impression during an internship interview?

Aside from dressing professionally and being prepared, it is important to be friendly, polite, and professional during the interview. Make eye contact, listen actively, and communicate your enthusiasm for the position. Thank the interviewer for their time and follow up with a thank-you note after the interview.