Science Advisor
- 3,639
- 3,336
I'm not sure eventual notoriety erases past fame. I know him mainly as a populariser.
I did a quick search, but failed to find it.PhDeezNutz said:I would love to see this thread if you have a link.

Seems pretty clear to me:Vanadium 50 said:The OP should clarify.
dsaun777 said:Have any famous or well known scientists [...]
I think this is the best way to describe such people. I'll refrain from going on a full blown tirade.strangerep said:sl##\vee##ts.![]()
I once heard Kaku hold forth on quantum computing. I thought, "dang, I don't know much but it's more than this guy's got." His grooming is however far superior to mine, so I guess he deserves his fame.PhDeezNutz said:I think this is the best way to describe such people. I'll refrain from going on a full blown tirade.
Who is the blonde!. Need to know for research purposes.fresh_42 said:
MidgetDwarf said:Who is the blonde!. Need to know for research purposes.
Is Lev Okun famous?jack action said:Seems pretty clear to me:
The point is that you asked if "famous" and "celebrity" are supposed to be synonymous in this context. The OP clearly says "famous OR well-known" and "well-known" is clearly a synonym for "celebrity".Vanadium 50 said:Is Lev Okun famous?
Is Jack Steinberger?
Is Rush Holt?
Is Rick Field?
Will everybody agree?
Fascinating biography!jack action said:Jack Steinberger
Sorry, I am back now. Thanks for all the responses I was unaware of the scientists that have visited here. Very cool!! And I am interested in those who are well known to the general public as well as any scientist that has a big reputation among their peers. I am impressed that Brian Cox and Sean Carroll paid a visit here even if they were just flogging a book. I just would like to see people of all walks of the physics/science community, either BBC-special famous or highly published scientist, be apart of this forum. It would make it a cooler place for aspiring young scientists to hang out if there was some well known names that they ask questions to. Not that any of you who already do so aren't cool.Vanadium 50 said:68 cites isn't "didnt pan out". It's "the community found it uninteresting". One can always fit the SM into a big enough group. The trick is to find a group that makes the theory restrictive enough to make predictions,. To pick another theory that "didn't pan out", Pati-Salam had 3000 or so cites. The difference is that the physics community found that paper interesting. (It taught the world how to create GUTs)
There are a half dozen or dozen people on PF with a stronger publishing record. Do they nolt count because they aren't "surfer dudes"? The OP should clarify. (But he seems to have wandered away)
That's probably why they don't stick around.dsaun777 said:[...] It would make [PF] a cooler place for aspiring young scientists to hang out if there was some well known names that they ask questions to.

There's more.berkeman said:Fascinating biography!
I've read that Kaku makes around $25,000 for a typical TV appearance.strangerep said:even if they are media sl##\vee##ts.![]()
I once mailed him a comment about one of his E8 lectures. In it, he was at a loss for describing E8 in a simple manner for laypeople. I suggested the Eight Ball toy as an example and he responded saying he liked the analogy.fluidistic said:Garrett Lisi used to hang in here.
I missed the cat fight. Did it involve any famous scientists/physicists?berkeman said:An off-topic cat fight has been deleted from the thread. Any further cat fights will result in temp bans for the kittens.
Thread is reopened. Have a nice day.![]()
He must be a millionaire.Ivan Seeking said:I've read that Kaku makes around $25,000 for a typical TV appearance.
I was going to do cat puns on famous physicists, but the only one I can think of is Sir Isaac Mewton.dsaun777 said:I missed the cat fight. Did it involve any famous scientists/physicists?
Schrödinger's cat fight.Ibix said:I was going to do cat puns on famous physicists, but the only one I can think of is Sir Isaac Mewton.
He is.dsaun777 said:He must be a millionaire.