Have any famous or well known scientists come to this site?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsaun777
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
80 replies · 8K views
Bruce Maccabee made some posts here. He has been a TV regular for decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Maccabee

I'm sure there were mixed feelings as he is an optical physicist and a big name in UFO research. :oldbiggrin: He got involved in some UFO discussions. We had a forum for such things back then.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jack action said:
If you are willing to consider infamous as well, I know Valery Fabrikant came around for a few posts about 10 years ago.
Isn't he in jail?
 
dsaun777 said:
Isn't he in jail?
Yep! When I saw his handle, I was wandering where I knew that name from until it hit me. He started one or two threads, fetching comments for a paper he wrote. I don't even think anyone responded back.

I don't know if anyone really knew who he was, but I went to the University he is now known for, in the very department he was working, taught by his colleagues, just a few years after the sad event occurred. It is a name that leaves a mark.
 
PhDeezNutz said:
Canadian jails give you internet access?
And Fridays are movie nights. :wink:
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and PhDeezNutz
jack action said:
I don't even think anyone responded back.
Who would dare?
 
PhDeezNutz said:
Canadian jails give you internet access?
He had his own website.

But to answer your question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_prisons said:
Internet use in prisons allows inmates to communicate with the outside world. Much like the use of telephones in prisons, the use of the internet under supervision, for various purposes, is approved in 49 U.S. correctional systems and five Canadian provinces.
 
I thought Canada had only federal prisons and provincial jails. Am I wrong?

I'd hate to get sentenced to a stint in Yellowknife. "Good news! Summer is on a weekend this year!"
 
julian said:
Appearances can be deceiving, Mr Bean has a master's degree in electrical engineering.
View attachment 320025
I thought all EEs look like that? :oldconfused:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, julian and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
I see people like him, Sagan, and other people who bring the wonders of science to the public, as critical to the foundations of science. They not only bring attention to the subject, which helps to drive funding for research, they also help to inspire the next generation of scientists! You need people like this to engage the public and to fire the imaginations of young people.

In fact, now that I think about it, there is a quote that comes to mind.

PF started in the spring of 2001. I was taking Physics II in high school my senior year. The semester was ending and I found myself getting a “D” in the class. I badly needed at least a “C” to minimize the impact on my overall GPA. Through the year I gained mass interest in the Internet, web designing, and community building. My interest in physics was also sparked by popular physics books by Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking’s and Paul Davies. So I thought of proposing the idea of creating a useful physics community on the web as an extra credit project to my physics teacher.
- Greg
Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/about-physics-forums/

So the popularizers of physics helped inspire Greg to start Physics Forums.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, Jarvis323, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
MidgetDwarf said:
my assumption that people who popularize physics, do not frequent these forums largely due that the population may learn that their favorite tv personality, book writer, etc really does not know physics that well. which would lead to loss of sales and markability.
I used to think Kaku was just a popsci guy when I was younger until I bought his book on quantum field theory: a modern introduction. It's amazing he wrote that by himself.
 
jedishrfu said:
And how did it help your grade?
He gave me a C-, which is exactly what I needed.

We've had a number of "famous" scientists pass by through the years. Such a life is quite busy, so it's hard to stick. @Urs Schreiber wrote a number of Insights and was a popular moderator for years during the physics listserv days.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, dextercioby, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
He gave me a C-, which is exactly what I needed.
WTH? I need his cellphone number so I can have a talk with him!

(Oh, probably too late...) :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
He gave me a C-, which is exactly what I needed.

We've had a number of "famous" scientists pass by through the years. Such a life is quite busy, so it's hard to stick. @Urs Schreiber wrote a number of Insights and was a popular moderator for years during the physics listserv days.
Sorry I am not familiar with your background but I really appreciate the website. Did you end up becoming a physicist?
 
dsaun777 said:
Sorry I am not familiar with your background but I really appreciate the website. Did you end up becoming a physicist?
No, he became a maestro in website design. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
I thought Canada had only federal prisons and provincial jails. Am I wrong?

I'd hate to get sentenced to a stint in Yellowknife. "Good news! Summer is on a weekend this year!"
There are provincial/territorial corrections and federal corrections. No private prisons. Where you go depends on if your sentence is two years or greater.
 
So shouldn't Fabrikant be in federal prison? So it shouldn't matter if the province allows inmates access to the internet or not.
 
He is currently in Archembault Institute which is a federal prison. Supposedly prisoners there live the good life. Fabrikant has apparently been able to conduct research while incarcerated. The Canadian legal system is disgusting.
 
I suspect one's opinion of any country's legal system depends on which side of it you are.

As an example, "Unhand that man!" means something very different in some penal systems than others.
 
Mondayman said:
He is currently in Archembault Institute which is a federal prison. Supposedly prisoners there live the good life. Fabrikant has apparently been able to conduct research while incarcerated. The Canadian legal system is disgusting.
When you can give first-class treatment to people everybody hates, imagine how well the rest of the population is well treated.

I live in Canada and I can reassure you that I'm not thinking of hurting others because criminals have it "easy".

On the contrary, I'm reassured that if I stray away from the righteous path, people will do whatever possible to help me rather than simply wreak vengeance on me. History clearly showed us that this accomplishes nothing positive.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Bandersnatch and Wrichik Basu