Have i discovered a new energy source?

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to create artificial clouds and then generate electricity from lightning strikes. They are aware of the dangers and doubts the feasibility of the idea, but are curious about it.

do u think it is possible??

• Total voters
ank_gl
have i discovered a new energy source??

hey tell me if this is possible,
i know that u can create clouds artificially n when they rub against each other(like they do in a thunderstorm) a huge amount of electricity is created. so i want to know is can't we get a rig where clouds r generated n allowed to induce static charges n then when lightning occurs, which is nothing but the charge flowing to earth, can't we catch or store it. i hav heard that energy is extremely high in these cases, so even if it is done at very small scale, it would generate an awesome amount of energy!

n if i m wrong in this, wut r the things or reasons that it cannot be done??

i hope i ll get a good response

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are other threads on this concept. Unfortunately, the energy of lightning is extremely small (very high power, but very short duration), extremely difficult to harness (you'd need capacitors the size of buildings to capture the energy), and unpredictable.

Last edited:
no i m not askin to harness the energy of natural lightening. what i want to know is that can't we do it the controlled way, i mean artificial clouds can be made, so can't we simulate the conditions in a large rig n then generate lightening, n as far as short duration is considered, do plenty of runs.
but probably the cost behind all this will overpower the energy generated, but still can it be done? n if yes it might comeout to be a good source coz only the initial cost is high, after some time they can be self sustaining.
anyways thanks for postin a reply

Where are you getting the energy from on your simulation rig?

yeah that's a problem
but still i think it is plausible if not practical.
cheh... myth busted
suppose we get some natural driving source, what will be the problems one might face in this type of generation rig

The huge amount of electricity created is also a function of the size of the clouds. If you created a chamber, even the largest building in the world would pale in comparison to the size of a typical thunder cloud.

ya but then we can also have several runs with the small clouds.

i know that this thing is never going to happen, but it just struck me and i am curious about it. i am also aware of the dangers involved.
but still does it have enough energy to be collected and stored for normal usage?

No. You'll have to put some energy into your rig to create your 'clouds' and get them to move. The energy you get out of your lightning won't be as much as what you put into run your rig.

yea thatz what i thought.
well anyways thanks for your replies

1. What evidence do I need to prove that I have discovered a new energy source?

In order to prove that you have discovered a new energy source, you will need to provide scientifically valid and repeatable data. This can include experiments, observations, and analysis that show the existence and properties of the new energy source.

2. How can I determine the potential of the new energy source?

The potential of a new energy source can be determined by assessing its efficiency, scalability, and sustainability. This can be done through further experimentation and research to understand its capabilities and limitations.

3. What are the steps to take after discovering a new energy source?

After discovering a new energy source, the first step would be to thoroughly document and publish your findings in a reputable scientific journal. This will allow other scientists to review your research and potentially replicate your results. Further research and testing may also be necessary to fully understand the potential and applications of the new energy source.

4. How can I ensure that my discovery is valid and not a mistake?

To ensure the validity of your discovery, it is important to follow the scientific method and conduct rigorous experiments with proper controls. It is also beneficial to have your research and findings peer-reviewed by other scientists in the field.

5. Can I patent my discovery of a new energy source?

Yes, if your discovery meets the criteria for a patent, you may be able to patent it. This can help protect your intellectual property and potentially lead to commercialization of the new energy source.