Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have i discovered a new energy source?

1. good question

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. u may be right

33.3%
  3. u think like a pig

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 31, 2007 #1
    have i discovered a new energy source??

hey tell me if this is possible,
    i know that u can create clouds artificially n when they rub against each other(like they do in a thunderstorm) a huge amount of electricity is created. so i wanna know is cant we get a rig where clouds r generated n allowed to induce static charges n then when lightening occurs, which is nothing but the charge flowing to earth, cant we catch or store it. i hav heard that energy is extremely high in these cases, so even if it is done at very small scale, it would generate an awesome amount of energy!!

n if i m wrong in this, wut r the things or reasons that it cannot be done??

i hope i ll get a good response

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are other threads on this concept. Unfortunately, the energy of lightning is extremely small (very high power, but very short duration), extremely difficult to harness (you'd need capacitors the size of buildings to capture the energy), and unpredictable.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  4. May 31, 2007 #3
    no i m not askin to harness the energy of natural lightening. what i wanna know is that cant we do it the controlled way, i mean artificial clouds can be made, so cant we simulate the conditions in a large rig n then generate lightening, n as far as short duration is considered, do plenty of runs.
    but probably the cost behind all this will overpower the energy generated, but still can it be done? n if yes it might comeout to be a good source coz only the initial cost is high, after some time they can be self sustaining.
    anyways thanks for postin a reply

5. May 31, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where are you getting the energy from on your simulation rig?

6. May 31, 2007 #5
    yeah thats a problem
    but still i think it is plausible if not practical.
    cheh... myth busted
    suppose we get some natural driving source, what will be the problems one might face in this type of generation rig

7. May 31, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The huge amount of electricity created is also a function of the size of the clouds. If you created a chamber, even the largest building in the world would pale in comparison to the size of a typical thunder cloud.

8. Jun 1, 2007 #7
    ya but then we can also have several runs with the small clouds.

i know that this thing is never gonna happen, but it just struck me and i am curious about it. i am also aware of the dangers involved.
    but still does it have enough energy to be collected and stored for normal usage?

9. Jun 1, 2007 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. You'll have to put some energy into your rig to create your 'clouds' and get them to move. The energy you get out of your lightning won't be as much as what you put in to run your rig.

10. Jun 1, 2007 #9
    yea thatz what i thought.
    well anyways thanks for your replies

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?